Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welll on the way to office today the vette started stuttering/skipping when accelerating. It progressively got worse until the check engine light came on... So I had to leave it at the dealer and they won't be able to have a technician look at it till monday... Sooo in the meantime I thought I'd check and see if anyone has had a similar problem?? and what it turned out to be?? sensor, plug etc? One more thing that sucks is I take in a corvette z06 and for a loaner car I get a 98 cavalier that burnes more oil than gas....thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
stuttering and skipping on acceleration? hmm...

I remember I had a similar problem like that on my other car, and it turned out to be corrosion in the spark plug wires, causing electrical malfunction at the spark plug level.

I changed the wires, and the car run just fine.

please keep us posted as to what the problem was.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the vettes back on the road... Turned out that a couple spark plugs fouled out.... The tech said that most likely the previous owner didn't drive it as hard, or often as he should have and a little carbon started to build up on the plugs and fouled them out. Also the air filter was getting clogged and not allowing sufficient air flow. Below are a couple tips they gave me to keep it running smooth & clean. I obviously havn't tested them yet, but they seem reasonable, especially the part above driving it hard and fast...:
1. Chevron and Quicktrip are the top rated gas stations of GM, but don't always go to the same gas station. Rotate between three or four.
2. Drive the car hard, and regularly.
3. Take at least a 200-300 mile trip every couple months, and don't use 6th gear on the trip so as to keep the rpms a bit higher.
4. Tap your air filter out on the ground every oil change.
5. Run a tank of Regular gas every oil change. (This one make me nervous so I wanna do some more reseach...
Mannygmt2: Sorry to hear about your cars recent hiccup.. did you get it figured out? And no, I didn't happen to get the code...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also just fyi, it cost me $350 just to have the dang spark plugs changed... ha... I always change them on my other vehicles, but I didn't want to take a chance on screwin anything up on the vette. Pirce you gotta pay I guess...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Glad to hear that your Baby is back and purring like a kitten. :z:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About the regular fuel, the most I good get out of the tech is that premium has certain additives that sometime build up, so using regular gives the car a chance to burn off any buildups without adding more to it. But like I mentioned, I'm gonna do more research on that to make sure its true and that it can't jack my engine up...

·
Registered
207 Posts
This "road trip in 5th gear" tale sounds like nonsense to me. If you are going to go through an entire trip at 600 or so higher rpm, you might as well keep it in 6th and just increase your speed by 20 mph or so ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DirtyZ06 said:
This "road trip in 5th gear" tale sounds like nonsense to me. If you are going to go through an entire trip at 600 or so higher rpm, you might as well keep it in 6th and just increase your speed by 20 mph or so ;)
well I can't say I disagree with the logic on that one... ha.. 6000 though?? If I remember correctly when I'm in 5th, at around 75-80ish, I'm stiil only at about 2800-3000 rpm if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
168 Posts
so it was the spark plugs? Hmm.. i had a feeling it was some sort of electrical thing that was spark related. I thought our plugs were good for like 100k miles!!

My 02 Z is starting to stutter a bit too, but only in 4th and 5th gear, at higher rpms... i don't understand, its like it has a slight hesitation. 1st to 3rd are ok.

I think its because i have a little leak on the driver side gasket of my exhaust, maybe i am loosing backpressure or something, i am going to get that checked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts