Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several posts, on various forums, that seem to say that the Z06 came about to save the FRC, as sales were not as expected and falling.
I always thought that it took a few years from drawing board to production. I realize that things can be sped up considerably with the use of computers (Like the original Camaro?). But, I'm under the impression that the FRC/Z06 transition was planned all along, with the FRC being the hors d'oeures to wet the appetite (Get people accustomed to the new design), then bring out the main course(385-Z06), then add a little more spice(405-Z06), and who knows what's next. I just can't except, at this point, that the Z saved the FRC design. It was all planned.
Any thoughts, or anyone in-the-know?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Don,

Welcome aboard, IMHO: thats a question only the walls inside the boardroom could answer at this point in time................

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hey 2k! Welcome to the best place to hang out on the web!

I've seen the same sort of discussions held elsewhere. I believe that some of the folks on this forum, who are more in the know, are aware that there was at least one, and perhaps several, 1999 Z06s in existence. As a matter of fact, in the Misc forum, there was, if memory serves me correctly, a string with some more data.... If I happen to run across it, I will post it here. Feel free to browse on your own. Even if you don't find that particular bit of data.... You will find a wealth of other information.

Take care,

Dan Farmer

·
Registered
572 Posts
My personal opinion is that GM had 2 or 3 options available for direction for the FRC. They listened for the responses after the car was first released, and went with customer desire. JMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are mirroring my thoughts. It's just I haven't seen this side expressed before.
Still hoping an insider somewhere would chime in with the real scoop, but then, they probably wouldn't be allowed to reveal their plan. :D

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Thanks Frank.

That's the thread I was trying to remember. Guess I need to get to the Chalet and lubricate my internal hard drive... :guiness: :guiness:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'll agree that it takes some time to release a new product. So I too believe that the Z06 was planned and not intriduced to help falling sales!!!!!:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts