Votes: 148 39.3%
  • as long as there is no fake badges go for it

Votes: 159 42.2%
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a person who own a 99-00 FRC adds the break vents and the front air vents, is it a bad thing or a god thing? Do you think they are trying to make it look like a 06 or is it not bad as long as they don't add Z06 badges and gauge clusters...

I personally love the hardtop look, I also love the way the rear break vents break up the back end lines of the car. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I saw a DRM coupe at Joliet with the vents.....

If it increases performance then I can't see any problems, though some people will call you a copycat :)

JC

·
Registered
134 Posts
As long as they don't call it a Z06, I think it's fine. Like JC said, if it helps performance it's ok...

There are a lot of C5s in Houston that have added Z06 trim but I have yet to see one of these cars with a badge :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cemo said:
As long as they don't call it a Z06, I think it's fine. Like JC said, if it helps performance it's ok...

There are a lot of C5s in Houston that have added Z06 trim but I have yet to see one of these cars with a badge :)

Thanks
only a matter of time before they start with badges, maybe not now cause the car is so expensive, but in a few years when younger people without taste start getting them, they will copy.
Brian

P.S. Nothing against young people, I'm only 25 just saying more likely someone my age or younger will try to copy a great performance car rather than takeing a step back and realizing what a great performance car they have.

·
Registered
134 Posts
reddeath said:

only a matter of time before they start with badges, maybe not now cause the car is so expensive, but in a few years when younger people without taste start getting them, they will copy.
Brian

P.S. Nothing against young people, I'm only 25 just saying more likely someone my age or younger will try to copy a great performance car rather than takeing a step back and realizing what a great performance car they have.
Yeah, you're right... it's only a matter of time. This reminds me of all of the fake ZR1 'Vettes I've seen that have the badge on the back.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know what you mean by the the add on emblems. I've had them stolen off of my "M" car more than once. I can replace my badges but I still own the real thing in the end and to me that counts the most. :cheers: :z:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Personally... I don't like posers. :roll:

Why try to make a perfectly nice FRC try to look like a Z06? :-?

I guess I just don't get it... :(

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I don't drive my 99 competitively ... YET. So I don't really need them. If I ever do decide to go competitive, I would probably put them on. They aren't that expensive for the extra assist that they give. However, Z06 badges? Wouldn't I look silly trying to pull that one off at a gathering or a race? That would be about as silly as putting them on a stock convertible.

Another thought is that, most folks who drive vettes are individualists to some degree. They just add a little bit of "difference" to the owners car.:cheers:

It never dawned on me that anyone would steal Z06 emblems ... I mean, really, their not Mercedes hood ornaments!:p

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I agree with JC if it helps that cars performance whats the big deal?

·
Registered
31 Posts
To each their own. No problem with that. But I want my 2k FRC to look like a 2k FRC. That's just me.:cheers:

OK, except for the LS6 fuel rail cover, Corsa exhaust, and BPP Vortex. :D :D

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wish they put the rearvents in the FRC. I love they way those look, I just hate to cut apart a perfically good FRC to put them in. Owell....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Not too far apart!

The hardtops and the Z06's, as far as seconds are concerned, are not that far apart, so be proud of your hardtop, since there is no need to put a Z06 badge. If you had a C4 coupe, opposed to a ZR1, there is a VERY big difference. A wider rear body, an engine subcontracted out of GM plant, dual overhead cam, the first of its kind in a Vette ever. I would say that's a very big difference. Remember, GM has to come out with something a little different every year to create sales. Your hardtop is up there with the Z06's. It's funny, in '63 they had the 327 up until '68, and then bored it out to a 350. Still the same block, just let's call it some mods. The 327 could do just what the 350 could do. But, if you take the 327 and compare it to the 396 big block, or the L88 427, then that's what you call a difference. I think that owning a Z06 is great, if you want to pay extra for the badge, a German transmission, a little different suspension and cluster. Its a hardtop, just more fine tuned for about $10,000 more.

Basically, the mods today are not different then the aftermarket mods they used 20 years ago, but more costly. Granted the technology has changed, but we are really talking marketing here. So if you have a '99-'00 Hardtop, and you are a second or two behind the Z06, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

As far as modding your '99-'00 Hardtop, the rule of thumb with Corvettes, especially with two low production years, is try to keep it as stock as possible for resale and collectibility. Remember, guys and girls, your the one that has the DIFFERENT car and lower production. Remember, Hardtops Are Different

·
Registered
0 Posts
Re: Not too far apart!

fatherlarry said:
The hardtops and the Z06's, as far as seconds are concerned, are not that far apart.
No kidding!!

My good buddy gpflepsen and I squared off on the interstate on our way to the CorvetteForum Cruise-In II. We were doing 65 MPH, both dropped into 3rd gear, and we were side by side. We took them up to 135 mph and we were still fender to fender!! :eek: We both have identicle mods. If it had been from a stop or a lower mph, I suspect it would have been a different story, due to the Z06 gearing...But, I was shocked!! Those FRCs scream!!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
And the irony is - if you really are thinking of having a "collectible" for 25 years in the future, perhaps a bone stock, matching numbers, 99 FRC will end up being more valuable than the Z06 from 2001.

What was the final count on number of '99 FRC's produced?

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
What am I, Now that I have the Z06/FRC roof with the Coupe Targa top on my Convert?

FRC poser?
Z06 poser?
Coupe Poser?

LAMO :) :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is awesome. if your thinking about selling it anytime soon, let me know :) Preferable, next spring :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Who cares?

In my mind, it's better than the guy who buys a Z06 but has never taken it to reline or pushed it anywhere near it's performance envelope.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would not mess with them at all

Not many FRCs made the first year. Since they gave birth to the Z06 collectors may find them interesting one day. Orig Stock it the way to keep it.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Not many FRCs made the first year. Since they gave birth to the Z06 collectors may find them interesting one day. Orig Stock it the way to keep it.
What he said...

1 - 20 of 107 Posts