Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having MTI install the Z07 package. (SWs' set up minus his cam and his skills :D ). The question is, should I have the Z07 badges put on or should I just stay with Z06. I will have Z07 plates though. Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think it depends on whether you want others to know about what you've got. If you want a "sleeper" Z06 (like there is such a thing) I'd leave the badges alone and if you want to attract more attention I'd opt for the Z07's. Either way you'll know what you've got and have one helluva ride! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
No point in confusing the issue. If you have the Z07 plates, may as well go with the Z07 badges. :)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like the Z07 badges, but think of all the cool Z06 stuff that won't look right in the car. You know stuff like the Z06 seat logos, instrument cluster, etc. Hows that gonna look with Z07 badges. If it were a pre Z06 FRC no probs but the Z06 seems to clash with the Z07. I know it seems petty but many of you will understand ... any ideas!! :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why cant you just have both badges on the car? It is still a Z06 with the Z07 upgrade package from MTI. :yeadog:

The problem with all of us just throwin out answers is nothings better than SEEING what it looks like. Any way to get a pic of standard Z06 badge vs Z07 badge (picture on part of car where Z06 badge is not) vs both?

Ya wanna get it right the first time. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
IMO, if I plopped the $$$ down for a Z07, I would love to put the Z07 badge on the car regardless of the Z06 labeling elsewhere. To the knowledgable few, they would be in awe to see the Z07 badging. To the ignorant, it will make an awesome conversation piece.

One other option... go the extra mile and get the interior redone with Z07 badging a la Caravaggio Corvettes. That would be extra cool but an extra couple of grand.

Another option... have someone, MTI maybe, CNC a new badge... A Z06 badge using the '02 Z06 outline BUT where is says 405 h.p.... change it to 427 C.U.!!! :eek:

The second option is a little more subtle, not as noticeable as Z07 but would make the badging correct and then when you kick someones arse down the Hawaiian roads and they thought you had an '02, tell em, "look a littler closer... 427 C.U.." :cool:

don

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I should not do anything and after each A$$ whippin I'll just tell them it is a "PLAIN" old "UNDERPOWERED" "LOWLY" 01 Z06 with pretty wheels.

That way when they roll up on an 02 they will just nod their heads respectfully and quietly take the next right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That would be a cool idea under 'plain' circumstances but your car as it stands now looks anything BUT plain!

Those wheels look like they add 100hp to the car all by themselves! Intimidates me even with the enigine off! :)

Can't wait to see what you end up doing.

don

No Mercy! said:
Maybe I should not do anything and after each A$$ whippin I'll just tell them it is a "PLAIN" old "UNDERPOWERED" "LOWLY" 01 Z06 with pretty wheels.

That way when they roll up on an 02 they will just nod their heads respectfully and quietly take the next right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
No Mercy! said:

I would but SW is the only one there and his did not start out as a Z06 :D

If you really think about it, considerin any C5 can get the Z07 upgrade and thus the badging, do ya really wanna get rid of Z06 badges that would make your Z07 to be more unique?

:cheers:

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you want my opinion, keep all the badges as is, and have a plate that says something like Z06PLUS! ;)

I like the 427 engraved on the fender badge idea too. :cool:

If you you want to the non sleeper route and tell the world what ya got, then go the whole way and replace every Z06 badge/emblem with a custom Z07 one. There aren't that many are there?

Fender badges (2), Seat logos (2), and emblem on gauge cluster.
Any more? I can't think of any.

Whatever you decide your car will be awesome!!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
201 Posts
This may not help your decision, but then again, it might... :)

I bought one of the last two 1995 RX-7s to be imported into the United States in April of '97 (don't ask me where they were keeping them). I bought the one with the lowest mileage, 104 miles, after driving the 400 mile car. The 104 mile car's interior was still covered in the assembly line plastic, and neither car had ever been licensed and were sold as new.

A couple weeks later I made the big mistake of riding in someone's modified RX-7, and a couple months later when all the parts showed up, I voided my warranty at around 3,000 miles by converting the car to non-sequential and adding all the modifications money could buy at the time. The one bigger mistake I made was not replacing the stock clutch, and sure enough it let loose not longer after, and I spun the motor well (WELL) over 9k rpm. It ran for awhile as if nothing had happened, but just died one day in traffic, as only a rotary engine can. :)

Threw in a junk yard motor (bear with me, there is a point to this story...) while I was having a full-out 3mm ceramic apex seal street ported motor built. Blew the junk yard motor at 15 psi not long after it was put into the car, no explanation for that one. I decided at that point that a 2-rotor motor would never last with the horsepower I was expecting (and my driving habits) and it was time to "step up".

So fully intending to keep the car rotary, I bought a 20B 3-rotor motor to convert the car, but after getting the run around from one vendor who claimed he could get me a fabricated engine cradle that would not require moving the steering rack, (and wasting 3 months in the process), I sold the 20B and shelved the project, so to speak. I haven't driven the car since May of '98, and it still has 13,000 miles on it.

So what does this have to do with your Z06/Z07 dillema? Well, in my usual flare for doing the unorthodox, I started looking into converting to a different (more robust) powertrain. After finding out that no one had done this before, I teamed up with a shop that does V8 conversions for 1st and 2nd gen. RX-7s, and started to develop a kit to put a V8 in the 3rd gen. First to put a V8 in a 3rd gen. RX-7... you can probably imagine how much flack I've caught for that particular distinction. :)

After many long months of waiting for custom parts and for the shop to make my pieces, I'm still patiently waiting for the conversion pieces while my "real" motor is being built. I bought a 1995 LT1 crate motor and T56 for the fabrication process, but I'm having a full-out (sort of an understatement) 396 cid motor built by Montalvo Racing.

A 38 lb. ultralight Crower crank. 505 gram Crower ultralight rods. Oliver splayed 4-bolt billet main caps. Canton 7 qt. road race pan. Custom JE pistons (12:1 static CR). Custom cast raised runner, reverse coolant flow 215cc Air Flow Research heads, which are being heavily ported. 2.10" intake and 1.60" exhaust titanium valves, retainers and keepers. Comp Cams Pacaloy solid roller springs. Cam Motion solid roller cam. Crower lightweight roller lifters. Crower stainless shaft mount 1.7:1 rockers. MSD 50# injectors. A custom Hogan Racing intake in progress. Arizona Speed & Marine 1,300 cfm throttle body, Speed-Pro SEFI-8LO and an 8k rpm redline, McLeod aluminum Street Twin twin disc clutch... etc. I went a little overboard. :)

So you're still asking what this has to do with your situation? Well, obviously the car isn't an RX-7 any longer, and I never was proud of the fact that I spent so much money on the purchase(not to mention the amount spent since the purchase) of a "plain ol' Mazda", so I've done some debadging and rebadging of my own. :)

"Mazda" appears nowhere on the car. The stock calipers even had the Mazda logo shaved when they were polished, although I'm replacing them with an AP Racing big brake kit, which should show up any day now. The stainless door sill plates are having the RX-7 embossed logo stamped out and are being repolished. The embroidered RX-7 floor mats were junked and plain black mats substitued. The car has "Efini" badges front and rear (Efini = Mazda in Japan), and even the steering wheel was replaced with a Japan-spec wheel with the Efini logo. No one knows what the car was in the first place, thanks to Mazda's less than stellar marketing campaign, but now it's really a mystery. I used to get "Ferrari" just as often as "Miata". :)

But the exterior of the car, with the exception of the elimination of the pop-up lights, and the '99 Japanese-spec tail lights is completely stock looking. The Racing Beat twin tip exhaust looks stock, although the tips are larger than stock. Inside, the cage was painted black and all the interior panels have been notched to fit around it, so that it blends right in. With the exception of a "6" on the gear shift lever, you'd never know the car didn't have the original transmission. And with the exception of a 240 mph top speed, you'd never know that the stock gauges had been changed. From all appearances, it appears to be an almost stock RX-7.

Now, I could have come up with some branding of my own. I could have plastered "6.5 Liter" on the car somewhere, giving myself away. The exhaust note will obviously be changed, but most people don't know what to listen for anyway... a rotary with a big cam??? :)

I decided to maintain a low profile precisely to have a sleeper advantage on everyone, including other RX-7 owners. The car will weigh a bit under 2,700 lbs. even with the iron block motor because of several weight reduction (Even stock they were under 2,800 lbs.) steps I've taken. With an estimated 650+ horsepower and 580+ ft. lbs. of torque (no idea what it'll make until we get flow numbers on the finished heads and intake and finalize a cam profile) it should be pretty nasty. I'll definitely have to replace the differential with a KAAZ racing unit and chromemoly half shafts, but before I go to that extent, I'm considering a C4 conversion to maintain the IRS. Although solid axle cars can definitely handle also, I'm trying to keep from putting a 9" in the car, although that may eventually be what I'm forced to do.

I vote for maintaining a low profile, and although heritage doesn't mean much to me (didn't bother me much to eliminate the rotary engine because I never bought into the different = better equation that most rotary owners seem to believe in) I think you should keep the Z06 badges. If you feel that it's necessary to set your car apart from the "normal" Z06s, then you should find a different way to do it. The person who stated that C5s can sport the same set of badges is right. If you want to maintain the disticntion of the Z06 package, you need to keep the badges. If you don't care, then go with the Z07 badges.

Personally, I'd leave the Z06 badges on... what fun is it if everyone knows what you're packing and no one will run against you? :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts