Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, a duplicate post, but its worth it.

The 2012 Z06 lap time of 7:22!

The new Z06 setup on youtube:

Notice the diffference in 4-5th gear ratios versus the ZR1. The Z06 just can't quite get the speed of the ZR1 at the end of the long straight. The ZR1 was doing 180 there but the Z06 does 170. Still incredible, the Z06 beats the ACR and the GTR. I love this car!

·
9,755 Posts
Actually, it touched 171 for an instant! :lol:
I guess we now have validation that the Z is an awesome car - not that anyone here didn't already know that! :D All the doubters are eating crow!
That is a great vid - thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry, a duplicate post, but its worth it.

The 2012 Z06 lap time of 7:22!

The new Z06 setup on youtube:
YouTube - ‪2012 Corvette Z06 Laps the Nurburgring‬‏

Notice the diffference in 4-5th gear ratios versus the ZR1. The Z06 just can't quite get the speed of the ZR1 at the end of the long straight. The ZR1 was doing 180 there but the Z06 does 170. Still incredible, the Z06 beats the ACR and the GTR. I love this car!
Excellent find my man!!:gjob:

Revised below, I found a better video to take a closer look at the times.

I just compared the 2 Chevrolet videos between the ZR1 and Z06 on PSC tires. At the end of the last banked turn (like the longer carosel banks earlier) before the long straightaway just at the white sign, I measure the ZR1 at 6:20.31 and the Z06 at 6:20.58. I think I am close, but it was tough to stop the frame right at the white sign. So at this point just before the long straightaway after 6 minutes of hard driving, the ZR1 is less than 1/2 second ahead of the Z06. Simply incredible considering the ZR1 has extra 133 HP and even more extra torque! The ZR1 made up its 2.95 second difference in the long straightaway! Considering the 2.95 second difference over the entire 7:19.63 to 7:22.58 run, if you factor in all of the handling variables (tire pressures, track temperatures, sun on track, etc), it really is too close to tell. It is definitely within the margin of error.

Comparison to Viper ACR is definitely incredible, as the ACR has very similar tires, a much larger wing and spoiler for downforce and has 95 extra horsepower and monster torque. As far as the GTR, I am convinced they "cheated" with a computer tune for overboost with a little extra octane boost to support it; and the GTR already has about the softest tire one can get without going to full slicks. I felt the tires on a GTR in the Nissan showroom last year (when waiting to pick up our workhorse Nissan Maxima) and it definitely felt stickier than the Mich Pilot PS2 tires.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
What extra did they do to the 2012 Z06 over the previous few years?
From www . corvetteblogger.com/2011/06/23/video-corvette-z06-laps-the-nurburgring-in-722-68/

When GM returned to the Nurburgring to validate the 2012 Corvettes, the ZR1 wasn’t the only car driven by test driver Jim Mero. Mero also drove a black 2012 Corvette Z06, outfitted with the Z07 chassis package, and posted a lap time of 7:22.68. The new lap time for the Z06 is just 3 seconds off the record-setting 7:19.63 time Mero recently recorded in the ZR1 while besting the previous Z06 record at the Nurburgring by nearly 20 seconds.

The lightest and most balanced Corvette model, the Z06 Corvette that ran the Nurburgring was equipped with the Z07 chassis package which features Brembo carbon ceramic brakes, Performance Traction Control and Magnetic Selective Ride Control. The Z06 was also outfitted with the new optional Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires which did their job at keeping the Corvette firmly planted to the track.
Basically, it's a Z06 with ZR1 bits, including an upgraded suspension, Brembo brakes, ceramic rotors, and Michelin PSC tires. Also keep in mind that this lap was done with a flying start while the previous C6 Z06 run (2005, 7:42.99) was done with a standing start.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
If it did the same time as the ZR1 GM would'nt have shown the video!! How could you justify 30k more for the same track time. I think the ZR1 is an incredible car but the price increase was too much for me....cause I didn't have it!! LOL So the ZO7 it is and I'm thrilled w/ it so far! 20 seconds quicker!!! same motor, incredible.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
On a lot of tracks it wouldnt matter but on many tracks, (portland IR is one,) the zr1 would crush the z06 as it is a very fast track.

The point of having the fastest production car ever produced by the americans would be a conversation starter too. Im anxious to see what happens when the new hennessy coupe is finished.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
20 seconds quicker!!!
That's not totally accurate. The 2005 lap was done with a standing start. The 2011 lap was done with a flying start. That alone is responsible for shaving several seconds off the 2005 lap time. It's still an impressive run nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
More proof that the Goodyear tires suck compared to cup tires.
I have always hated the goodyears on all my z's. I had upgraded to Michelin PS2's on my 08Z and was thrilled. Big difference. The Michelins on my new ZO7 are the PS Zp's. I can't believe they are a run flat!! Even better than the PS2's. I can't imagine SC's, these pick up every bit of grit on the road as it is, very sticky.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
They all seem to be gentlemen on the porsche forum. No need to bash them like the corvette forum does!! LOL My buddy has a new porsche and we go back and forth about the Z and 911 all the time. same issues that they brought up. I always concede that the interior sucks. My wifes new VW has a better interior and it cost less than 30K!!!! The bottom line is there is a BIG price difference so the comparison is retarded to me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
More proof that the Goodyear tires suck compared to cup tires.
For tracking the car. But not for driving on the street, in the rain, treadwear, puncture resistance...

There is no tire that does it all. Those PSC tires are not a good daily driver tire, I'm sure. But I know your point was for a track tire.

I think just changing tires from GY to PSC would make almost all of the difference in speed on track. Mag shocks are nice, but mainly to improve rough road ride, not necessarily track times. Haven't seen if Mero uses his AH or goes "naked" but that could help some too. Just changing brake pads would get close to the carbons in my experience (slap on some carbotech XP8's on your stock Z06 and see for yourself).

I posted a comment before this 7:22 time went up saying the Z07 should be very close to the ZR1, and then GM went and proved it!

What cars these are. Le Mans win, now this... I'm lovin' it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: What Porsche folks are saying

Why would you join the Porsche forum just to stir the pot :screwy:

Mike
Mike,

I did not join to stir the pot. My wife and I just bought a '98 911 993 and have spent lots of time during the buying process on Porsche forums. I did indeed make my first post in response to the question regarding the small difference in lap time between the ZR1 and Z06. It was then I decided to call out the person who claimed the Z06 felt plastic and like a toy.

Jw

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts

Mike,

I did not join to stir the pot. My wife and I just bought a '98 911 993 and have spent lots of time during the buying process on Porsche forums. I did indeed make my first post in response to the question regarding the small difference in lap time between the ZR1 and Z06. It was then I decided to call out the person who claimed the Z06 felt plastic and like a toy.

Jw
JW, all I can say is be careful with the rhetoric on a car forum. I have seen far too many 'forum wars' over the last 10 years that were not necessarily intentional by the poster/defender but got out of hand rapidly.

Mike

·
Registered
943 Posts

JW, all I can say is be careful with the rhetoric on a car forum. I have seen far too many 'forum wars' over the last 10 years that were not necessarily intentional by the poster/defender but got out of hand rapidly.

Mike
---Mike would never let that happen here:lol::lol::lol:

·
9,755 Posts
---Mike would never let that happen here:lol::lol::lol:
We've had our moments :lol: :lol:

I took a die-hard Porsche/BMW guy for a ride in my Z on some twisty roads. Once the color came back to his face he said "gee this car doesn't suck in the corners" :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts