Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This club has been a great help at me finding information on the Z06 (planning on getting one). All you people are great! Anyway, I can't remember if I saw this before, but does the 2002 Z have the 1-4 shift in it? What about the 2001? Thanks!

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Glad you enjoy this board. I do, too! Everyone seems to be helpful.

The '01 and '02 models both have the Skip Shift programming.

I did the eliminator fix last week. I didn't plan on living with it...and I lasted a week before getting rid of it. Very annoying.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad to hear there's a fix for it. That would be annoying as hell. What's all involved in doing the fix? Don't go into detail, I just want a general idea!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Z06-less said:
I'm glad to hear there's a fix for it. That would be annoying as hell. What's all involved in doing the fix? Don't go into detail, I just want a general idea!

Check the FAQ to the left
<-----------------

There is article on how to build bypass yourself... or one of the vendors can sell you a plug to do it.

It basically is a plug that plugs into the trans. You unplug the one that is there and plug it into the bypass then plug the bypass back in. (at least the version I bought but never used is that way).

I just got used to it... may change my mind later and put it on... especially if I ever let anybody else drive. As long as you rev higher in first you will never see it in action. I usually only ever hit it turning somewhere after a stoplight... I just don't accelerate enough to get over hump while in turn and forget and hit it... then it gets that dumped feeling :(

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
All vettes have it these days. It's not a big deal, besides the car has more than enough torque to pull adequately in 4th at a low speed. I rarely if ever see it come into play. Even if you do acitivate the 1 to 4 shiftwork, you can work around it in a couple of ways. One way is to just add a couple of revs and it goes away or move the shifter over in the general direction of the 3 to 4 slot and then back to second. The only time it is activated is when you are moving slow and not doing much accelerating, so doing it quickly is not an issue. You can always avoid it by just shifting at a higher rev level than which it wants to activate. I have hit the rev limiter more than the 1 to 4 shift.

FRC Tom, have you ever seen the 1 to 4 indicator come on? :lol:

Don

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Before I got the Z, I had the skip shift on the Viper, it always annoyed me. I guess I am a pansy and shift at very low RPM. Well, when I got the Z, I was told that many have learned to drive through it. I though, nah, I won't but low and behold I have don't even know it is there. I just drive right through it. Well, most of the time. It bites me on occassion.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Exactly Norman!

I found that it is very easy to get around it, but you have to remember to always rev it in 1st past a certain point. Maybe I drive like a weenie, too, I don't know...but in traffic its a PITA. I want 2ND, NOT 4TH, thank you. :cool:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Every time CAGS got me was the wrong time. Finally gave up and did the defeat. Kind of pathetic to get so tickled over being able to shift from 1st to 2nd at will.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It is not that bad, only grabs you at very low rpm shifts, if you do not fight it will flow into 4th easy, higher rpm's never a problem.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
JTBear said:
Buy the plug, it goes in fast. And the annoying skip shift problem is history!! :cool:
A definite must do! It gets you when you least expect it in traffic. And I fought it EVERY time!Reminded me of driving a car with an "old Foxcraft Shifter" :puke:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've seen my 01 come on very little, just learn to drive over the range. If FRC Tom has seen his it's only because his clutch stuck again. :cheers: :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts