Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am coming to the muscle scene.. I am a honda guy really, but I love muscle cars so much! I am going to be getting an z06 and I want to get a supercharger.. What can I do with $7-10,000 to the engine including the supercharger? Exhaust system, is magaflow good? Basicly I need to know what is a good supercharger and exhaust system with the engine build.. Thank you guys!

-Chase

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
there are a few really good kits out there. What are your goals and what will the car be used for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I want anywhere from 500hp to what I can achieve with the money I have.. It is going to be my daily driver bad ass mucsle machine! Probally take it to the track too..

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
The man to see is AA Andy..He's a supporting vendor here and a hell of a tuner..

Thats who I'd recommend out in california for the best performing ....best priced setups..

Good luck

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
The man to see is AA Andy..He's a supporting vendor here and a hell of a tuner..

Thats who I'd recommend out in california for the best performing ....best priced setups..

Good luck
concur! :thumb:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Just out of curiosity...

What do you guys think of pulling the LS6 heads and dropping the larger chamber inexpenisve cadillac LQ9's...You'd drop the compression to the 9's with that move and probably make the money back for the whole deal by selling the Z06 heads?

A little more boost by dropping the compression couldn't hurt....(upgrade the springs and go)

I was just wondering why more people didn't go that low cost route to dropping compression....to give an easier time to run more boost?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are LG Motorpsorts Race Quality True Long Tube Headers? What kind of muffler setup should I get with that? Magaflow? I want to get the Magnuson SuperCharger, good? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Really...all kidding aside AAAndy will steer you in the right direction...

Kooks or LG's would be a great way to go....Depends on what your budget is....FIgure kooks to be a nice setup and about 15% less to purchase....(long tubes don't pass visual inspection in california though...so keep that in mind...and maybe stay with stock manifolds if passing visual is an issue for you)

I like the intercooled magnuson for its civility(emission compliant as well) and more than enough power...(andy might suggest other brands of supercharger but tell him when your talking....what YOUR after with the modified car.

As far as exhaust? I haven't heard much about magnaflow..

I'd probably go for the GHL's? I've heard good things about them. The stock cat back is not bad if you want to go stealth. They flow just about the same but don't sound quite as nice....Not nearly as loud.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Keep in mind with stock cast pistons and stock compression....you don't want to go too far with boost..ie...different pulleys...

How much hp and torque you want should be discussed up front with Andy....

Remember the clutch can only handle so much power...and then your in deeper and deeper (money)

Do you use the car everyday? Do you need to pass visual inspections out in california? How much do you want to spend? How much do you want take the car from its present and already impressive performance?

There's a balance...and you should decide how far you want to take the car before you start modding...

If it were me? I'd slap the maggie on....no headers..no nothing...and enjoy the ride....(Maybe slap LG9 cadillac heads on if the tuner thought it was a good idea along with some dual spring kit....) and then maybe up the boost..

I probably wouldn't do headers but thats just me....

I'd keep it simple since your in a tough emissions state....

Talk with Sanford , a member here who lives in california...

He can give you his impression and opinions since he's done what your considering...

Nice guy too.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
This member seems to be on his game with the supercharger and what mods to go with...and what not to go with:

Originally Posted by 99CORVETTEGUY
How lopey This blower Cam That your talking about? I wouldnt mind a little bit more radicle But i want to keep it somewhat sane

Honestly, hardly noticeable, that's why it's a blower cam. The big lopey cams don't work well with blowers. It has over 1/2 less lope than my mild 112 cam had, and it was/is a daily driver. A lot of Z06 guys don't do the cam because the 2002+ cams are bigger, and work very well. I think the LS1 cams are too small, that's why I wouldn't recommend it.

Headers have actually hurt some guys, and they can have very little gain for the money with a blower because of the needed back pressure. The Z06 manifolds flow great, and give that nice back pressure. You can pick those up for less than $100 around here.

Save by spending more. Do a cam, clutch and Magnuson all at the same time, and you should save on labor opposed to doing them all individually. 21st CMC just pulled my motor, therefore not charging me for most of the clutch or cam install. A good shop can pull a motor in about 4 hours. Plus, they'll usually clean it up too. Doing a Luk Gold clutch with aluminum flywheel with new master & slave and a blower cam only added about $2k to my final price. Doing them seperately would have cost me at least $3k.

Here's my suggestion, especially for the cost conscious (this is kinda what I did):

Find a take-off non-I/C Magnuson. You can get a polished version, installed with hood, new injectors and LS Edit for $7500 or less. Install the Z06 manifolds for $75. Do a blower cam & Luk or Exedy clutch for $2k-$2500. You would probably need a 3.3 pully too for $350. I would expect you would make 450 rwhp @ 5.5# boost with a conservative tune easily, maybe more.

$10-11k later, you'll never touch the motor again (probably). Some guys will spend that alone doing H/C packages, have constant internal issues, can't get inspected, etc. I did the H/C thing (on my convertible), and trust me, you will always want more, until you end up going with a new motor (sometimes, not by choice). It can be a headache, but that's the goal for some guys, they always want to be wrenching. If you want the most power you'll ever be able to put down to the ground, without the wear and tear of "always on" like a H/C, then get a Magnuson, do it right, and be done with it and enjoy.

JMO though, lots of guys will disagree, but I think this is what "you" want.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
who knows...maybe at the end of next year? I'll dump my Crappy FLP headers if the welds break again.....then...pick up some stock C5 Z06 2002 or newer exhaust manifolds for next to nothing.......Keep my baby 224/224 .563 114lsa cam if its close the "blower cam specs...swap in some new dual valve springs at the same time..and have a party with the magnuson intercooled supercharger...myself..

Thats the bad part of reading these dam forums..

They are addictive...

Anyways...I think a blower cam if you want more power...using...stock manifolds ....GHL exhaust (if you want more sound.) ....and an intercooled magnuson supercharger is a good way to go...

If I were starting over bone stock......I'd try that for a few laughs.. Seems like a nice way to get some impressive hp.

and it offers a three year/36K mile drivetrain warranty to boot..Not a bad way to go..

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
How much power does your Honda have? How fast is your Honda? I recommend you drive the Z stock for a couple of months to get the hang of it. If you've never driven a rear drive car (a low-weight car, at that) with lots of torque it will need some getting used to.

Good luck with finding the car you want. And, welcome to Z forum.

Alex

·
Registered
67 Posts
The I/C Magnuson is definitly the way to go. I have the I/C Mag with blower cam and it makes plenty of power. 503RWHP 430 RWTQ So like every addict I had to try a little more. Yesterday 21st installed kooks headers and mid section with Borla 4 tip and 3.1 pulley, it sounds great BUT ( it was 94 degrees while on the dyno) I make 500 RWHP 448 RWTQ for an additional $3000. Stock exhaust is just fine. When you want the sound just get Borlas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts