Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my tire pressure for the first time today, it was 25 psi all the way around. The sticker on the door panel says cold psi should be 30. I inflated all tires up to 30 psi.

I started to think that it is unusual that all tires were exactly down 5 psi. Is the sticker correct? Is 30 psi the right pressure?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Expect to lose 1- 2 lbs. a month through the sidewall. Air temp. plays a role in this equation also. :)

Best to check your pressure weekly... and at least monthly.

Best to you... :cheers:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Per chance had you had your car recently to a quick lube place?
Just something about tire guages that give me pause.
Had an oil change last summer and on my way home I thought someone had installed new springs. Let the tires cool down and checked....45 pounds in each! No big deal but I called the lube place just to let them know they may want to check their guage. The manager actually called me back and thanked me...they had 4 guages there and 3 were within 1 pound of each other, the 4th read 13 pounds high.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In addition to losing app 1 # a month(time), you will gain or lose app 1# for every 10 degrees in temp change. So for example, I filled the tires to 31F/30R psi at app 68 degrees and three days later just before I took it for a spin in 44 degree morning ambient air temp, the tires had lost app 2.5 #'s (27.5-28 psi) (I use a digital pressure gauge)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
When I had my car aligned, he pumped the tires up to 45 lbs. Said it should handle better. Road like it had solid rubber tires:( Thirty pounds for me( especially with the terrible roads in New England):(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Baron said:
When I had my car aligned, he pumped the tires up to 45 lbs. Said it should handle better. Road like it had solid rubber tires:( Thirty pounds for me( especially with the terrible roads in New England):(
Darn, I wonder how long your tires would have lasted at that pressure? Would have worn the center tread right out of them. Also, would the overinfaltion affect the accuracy of your alignment?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I don't think tire pressure would affect the alignment readings. As long as they were all too much. Surprisingly, even though I dropped the car as much as I did (1 1/2"& 2") it wasn't that far off.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Since I got this car in August, I have tried several tire pressure combos, trying hard to get handleing, mileage and most of all performance. Finally I settled on 29 front and 28 rear. I have NO wheel hop. good mileage and great handleing. I have railed turns faster than with 30/30 with less effort and more confidence! I do check tire pressure like my oil level so it is important to me and it does make a differance in the cars habits. Good luck with your experiments. Bill :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts