Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got an empty stretch of autobahn and I gunned it. My Z06 would not go any faster than 173 MPH. I was pushing for 175 and hopeful for 180, but she just didn't have it in her.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How stable did she feel? Im assuming your stock. I've been to 165 in mine and she was still pullin very hard. I think with my lights down ( :roll: ) I could get about 190-195

·
Registered
996 Posts
A-Bahn Vette said:
Well, I got an empty stretch of autobahn and I gunned it. My Z06 would not go any faster than 173 MPH. I was pushing for 175 and hopeful for 180, but she just didn't have it in her.
Nice that you're able to do it legally! Over here you risk a visit to the local jail for even thinking about it :D

C5Z06 are rated at 171mph max speed, which is unfortunately gear/drag limited... Interestingly, the standard C5 vette is rated at 176mph due to better aerodynamics.

So basically you did the best you could :z:

Geoff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spdrcrj - She felt stable enough that I had no worries that the car couldn't handle it. The only thing is the hood kinda wobbles a little with the air going over it so fast. With the power you're running, I would think you could reach 200...that thought is just scary. :eek:

Jofu, I think the standard C5 can go faster simply because of the transmission gearing...5th gear in standard C5 is .74 vs. .84 in Z06. I'm not sure, but I don't think the aerodynamics are significantly better on the standard C5.

I have a friend with an Audi S4 and he took a picture of his speedometer while going 170mph. The thought of doing that kinda befuddles me, but I might give it a try if the conditions are right, i.e. no traffic and long straight autobahn stretch.

·
Registered
968 Posts
:screwy:
spdrcrj said:
How stable did she feel? Im assuming your stock. I've been to 165 in mine and she was still pullin very hard. I think with my lights down ( :roll: ) I could get about 190-195

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Nothing quite like the feeling of opening her up. However, I prefer to do it under controlled conditions of a road track - the Ponoco long course is quite nice and hitting 150+ on the back straight is quite easy and much safer.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I've done 165MPH and it was very smooth. You have to pick your roads wisely, that's one of the great things about our car's
You don't need much room, to get there :yeadog:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Backlash said:
Nothing quite like the feeling of opening her up. However, I prefer to do it under controlled conditions of a road track - the Ponoco long course is quite nice and hitting 150+ on the back straight is quite easy and much safer.
Empty autobahn (one that you're familiar with) is quite safe to open up the Z06. People following the rules of the road (not passing on the right side) also helps to keep things safe.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The fastest I've gotten my stock Z16 up to 138, it's still the max speed on my GPS :) The hood was warbling like crazy so I backed off....

·
Registered
340 Posts
here is a pic of my GPS at speed in my Z16. my buddy snapped the pic a little early. he thought we were only gonna go 172 mph because all the mags said that a bone stock Z06 will only do 172 mph. my speedo was reading 168 mph. so we blasted out another run and i hit 176 mph on the gps and my speedo read 172 mph. that run we got on video. now if i can just find a way to get that vid on the internet.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fast Freddy said:
here is a pic of my GPS at speed in my Z16. my buddy snapped the pic a little early. he thought we were only gonna go 172 mph because all the mags said that a bone stock Z06 will only do 172 mph. my speedo was reading 168 mph. so we blasted out another run and i hit 176 mph on the gps and my speedo read 172 mph. that run we got on video. now if i can just find a way to get that vid on the internet.

What mod have you done? Mine was dynoed at MTI Racing yesterday. It had 358.1 rwhp and 350 rwtq. The stock car is supposed to be 350 rwhp and 350 rwtq from the factory. I have the Corsa Pace car exhaust with MTI Racing X-pipe (2.5") which is advertised to yield an additional 8-9 rwhp. BTW, I also have a high speed battery den cover, and high speed front, side, and rear screens. These didn't seem to increase the HP much. :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
My stock '03 (except for Blackwing) topped out on the rev limiter in 5th, at 175. If I would have had more room I would have put it in 6th to see if it had anymore.

We didn't tape that run and we really weren't prepared to tape this one, but in a moment of opportunity my wife leaned over with the camcorder and got this shot...

http://members.cox.net/steven52/452172.mpg

It's only to 172. We had the windows up and the passenger side window seal blew out at 172 and scared the hell out of us.

And I should add that I know it's not a very good video, the camera was hand held so I apologize for the quality.

Enjoy

·
Registered
340 Posts
hubcap - when i did the top speed runs my car was totally bone stock with no mods on the car whatsoever. in fact it only had 1100 miles on the odometer. at around the 2,500 mile i dyno'd the car and it put down 351 rwhp and 338 torque. since then i did a few bolt on mods and now i am putting down 377 rwhp and 368 rwtq. no increase in top speed now but i get there a little faster though. gotta luv it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Has anyone "tried" to top out in 6th? I suspect, under IDEAL conditions, you could eek out a tad bit more top speed in high (6th) gear; just need a lot longer playing field. :D

People don't believe me when I tell them I achieved a top speed slightly in excess of 180 (accurately measured) in my stock (375hp engine) 1990 ZR-1 with a 4.09 rear end. 5th would hit the limiter right around 175, but on nearly a 10 mile long straight entered at well over 100, that car eventually (slowly accelerated) up to 180 about 5 miles down range on perfectly level highway about 5000' elevation.

Likewise, again under ideal conditions (at sea level), isn't it at least feasible to do a higher top speed in 6th vs. 5th gears?

·
Registered
75 Posts
A-Bahn Vette said:
spdrcrj - She felt stable enough that I had no worries that the car couldn't handle it. The only thing is the hood kinda wobbles a little with the air going over it so fast. With the power you're running, I would think you could reach 200...that thought is just scary. :eek:

Jofu, I think the standard C5 can go faster simply because of the transmission gearing...5th gear in standard C5 is .74 vs. .84 in Z06. I'm not sure, but I don't think the aerodynamics are significantly better on the standard C5.

I have a friend with an Audi S4 and he took a picture of his speedometer while going 170mph. The thought of doing that kinda befuddles me, but I might give it a try if the conditions are right, i.e. no traffic and long straight autobahn stretch.

The standard C5 has a drag coefficient of .29 and the Z06 .32. This DOES have an impact on Z06 top speed and that is why the C6 Z06 is a fast back. These are direct words from Mr. Hill. But, I ask this, how often do you really need to go that fast anyway? 0-150 mph is where I want to be the fastest. The C5 Z06 shines in this territory.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Two nights ago out on a strech of empty highway here in Oklahoma.....I-44 to be exact. I opened her up and hit 172-173 on my HUD display. All I have is a TRAP intake. I wonder how fast that is on GPS.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts