Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
caravaggiocorvettes.com will be offering a vert conversion. here is an early pic of what it will look like:

http://www.psysion.com/z06vert.jpg

i am having trouble with my internet connection, so if the pic is not available, try back later.

i got this pic from sending mail to [email protected].
you can check their website for more info, i am not sure if they put anything out yet.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Picture doesen't show up :(

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Problem is with Aluminum frame stiffness. Alcoa , Dana and GM engineeres determined that they could save weight by using a slightly better alloy and thinner frame walls. The caveat being that with the bolt in magnesium roof panel the deflextion coefficient was with in 5% of the steel frame. Without the roof panel bolted in (Vert) the deflection constant is too far out of tolerence, along with torsion.

Deflextion (frame sag) is measured by comparing the height change in the A pillar top (say the point where the roof panel bolts in):
A. Unloaded and
B. Loaded (2 - 200# passengers)
vs.
X. Loaded with the panel off.

In other words, with the Aluminum frame the deflextion of the A pillar top; Unloaded is no more than 5% with 2 - 200# passengers in the seats (Loaded).

BTW The steel frame deflextion is less than 3%.

Without the roof panel bolted in (Vert) the deflextion is greater than 5% Loaded, and out of range.

I don't think you will see many Vert C6 Z06's with out major modifications to the frame.

It might be easier to upgrade a Vert. to a Z06 with a steel frame. But then it will be a heavy car.

Might as well just put a sunroof in a Hummer.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Maybe they could make the new Z06 into a hardtop for those die-hards that want that look without compromising stiffness. :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts