Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to make my dream car purchase and upgrade from a Ford truck. Is anyone else wrestling with this decision? Which one to buy between the C6 Z06 and the 997 911 Carrera S Coupe?

Z06 Pro's:
Unbeatable performance
Huge Badass Style Factor
Relatively exotic
Better Value per $ at $60k
Maintenance/Repairs relatively inexpensive
Most options are standard

Z06 Con's:
Questionable GM build quality
Styling may become dated sooner
Not very stealth (perhaps too "in your face")
Inconsistent dealership quality
Faster depreciation?

Carrera S Pro's:
Close to Z06 performance, unique handling characteristics
Beautiful and Classic style (timeless)
German build quality/reliability
More "stealth" than Z06
Dealership experience generally a cut above Chevy
Slower depreciation?

Carrera S Con's:
Very pricey (comparatively worse performance per $) at $80k
Maintenance/Repairs very costly
RMS engine problems
Options add up VERY quickly/nickle and dimed for everything

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I don't like paying $1-2K every time I have the car serviced. Z06 all the way! :guiness:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You left out a couple IMO the V8 sound and insurance cost. The Porsche will cost a lot more to insure.

Styling may become dated sooner. Your kidding, all Porsche's look the same to me for the last 40 years. :cheers:

I guess you can tell what I'm going to buy :blush:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

Good first post :cheers:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Carrera S Pro's:
Close to Z06 performance, unique handling characteristics NOT even close
Beautiful and Classic style (timeless)
German build quality/reliability not from what I'm hearing and the cost of repair is insane
More "stealth" than Z06
Dealership experience generally a cut above Chevy Sure if they screw you in the @ss they do treat you will while doing so
Slower depreciation?

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
All kidding aside I think you need to compare the GT3 or GT2 with the upcoming C6 Z06. The performance of the Z06 will kill a GT3 and be the equal of the GT2...

Only question is ......How much is the GT2? Maybe buying a preowned GT2 is a good choice for you....

Should almost be as fast as the C6 Z06 and cost only double the new Z06.

That might be a better way to go if you want a porshe?

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
A friend of mine just sold his 911 - he had enough of the "wonderful, superior, German engineering". To hear him talk about his car, you would have thought he was driving a British Leyland product. He never knew what was going to work & what wasn't.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A carrera S fully equipped will run you 95 G. Then you show up at the local track get beat by the 'out-dated' C5Z. Unless you are into the 'European prestige' nonsense, you would be really stupid to choose the Carrera S over the new C6Z, which will slap the ---- out of a Carrera S performance wise.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you are going to buy a Porsche, buy a Turbo.
I would look at at 02-03 in the 70sK, do exhaust, chip and intake, and you have a serious, which you can use all year round...

If you want a summer toy, go with the Z. Cheaper maintenance, and more exotic with tire smokin fun... :jammin:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I guess this is doing exactly what Dave Hill wanted it to do - lure Porsche people over to the Vettes - the Z06. Because a Corvette person would not even think about ANY Porsche over buying a Z06. The only better, faster one will cost you the price of about 6 new fully loaded Z06s. Now that is kinda mind boggling. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Z06BadAss said:
I'm about to make my dream car purchase...between the C6 Z06 and the 997 911 Carrera S Coupe?
The most important thing you can do for yourself is write out a list of the things *YOU* want out of a sports car - then decide which car best meets those needs...after test driving each car. The key to a good decision is the test drive, because it can sway your "pro/con" list pretty quickly.

Sports cars deliver the goods in different ways, and only you know what pushes your buttons. The 997S will do 0-60 in 3.9 sec and the quarter mile in the very low 12's...no slouch at all. And if some "tenths" of a second faster to those marks is important then rank that higher on your "need to have list". But you spend a whole lot more time in a car *not* doing personal best 0-60 runs than you do driving in a more normal manner, so the other traits that a car brings to the table need to be looked at too.

As for repair costs, the Porsche comes with a 4-year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, so the repair costs during that period is a big fat "0".

The majority of Porsche dealers are going to give you a level of service like you've never seen before - they will bend over backwards to make you happy. And the tech.s working on your car are far better trained and focused on quality repairs versus the average American car service department. At a Porscha dealer, the car they worked on just before working on your 911 will most likely have been...another Porsche sports car. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Torch said:
The only better, faster one will cost you the price of about 6 new fully loaded Z06s. Now that is kinda mind boggling.
The new 997 Turbo will not be 6 times the cost of the C6Z...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am talking Carrera GT, the only one with a better power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Torch said:
I am talking Carrera GT, the only one with a better power to weight ratio.
I thought you meant "better, faster"...

BTW, "power to weight" is not a very informative measure without considering the gearing, and the power curves.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ok, you buy the Porsche, I will buy the Z06. :) Maybe we will both be happy then. Heck, we can meet out on I20 with our respective rides.
You pick the informative measures, see how they stack up against each other. I am beginning to feel I am on the Porsche forum, but I checked, this is the Z06 forum. :blush:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Dock said:
The majority of Porsche dealers are going to give you a level of service like you've never seen before - they will bend over backwards to make you happy. .

The only one bending over at a porsche dealership is the customer! :lol:

No wonder the dealerships so nice...they bang their customers every step of the way...

From the purchase price...to the options...and forget about service costs....

They do such a good job....the clients can't sit for a week!

Of course I'm just kidding...the porsche has been a worthy competitor to the corvette since the beginning...

The GT2 or GT3 are really more in line with the C6 Z06.....and even though the new 911S is a great car....Its no where near the performance level of the C6 Z06.

But I am sure its tactile sensory preceptions are a level beyond many many cars...blah...blah...blah and I'm sure its leather smells good...Blah...blah..blah and the bottom line its gonna get its ass kicked by the new C6 Z06...(sorry but its true)

If that matters? then get the car of your choice.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Disclaimer: I have never driven a porsche. I have seen them up close, that's all.

Obviously I like the Vette better than any Porsche that I could ever afford. But I give the Porsche two marks over the Vette: quality of materials, and overall level of fit-and-finish. In those areas the Porsche is ahead. Supposedly they also convey a very high level of "precision control" and feedback to the driver, although I wouldn't know first hand. Most people seem to think they do that better than the Vette also.

But: In most other ways I think the Vette is a better car. Put the C6Z06 on a track with any Porsche under 6 figures, and watch what happens. Heck, even the C5Z06 can match or beat the low end Porsches. Granted the very high end Porsches are extremely accomplished performance cars, but man, do you pay through the nose for that.

My advice: Get the slightly cruder Vette, and use the cash you save to buy a BMW or something to satisfy your need for top notch fit-and-finish.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Torch said:
Ok, you buy the Porsche, I will buy the Z06. :) Maybe we will both be happy then. Heck, we can meet out on I20 with our respective rides.
You pick the informative measures, see how they stack up against each other. I am beginning to feel I am on the Porsche forum, but I checked, this is the Z06 forum. :blush:
First off, I'm not currently in the market for a sports car.

Additionally, I don't street race...I have too much to lose if I hurt somebody or get tagged by local law enforcement... street racing can be very unscientific, and if one car is a little faster than the other car who cares? Although the outcome of a street race may be a big deal to some people, it has absolutely nothing to do with how much I like a particular car.

This thread is about someone seeking information about two different cars, and talking about the one that's not a Vette does not make this a Porsche Forum. It's about talking cars...

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
All kidding aside..your right Dock...

Both of these cars are excellent sports car and deciding between the two is tough...yet realize your on a Corvette Z06 site...

:lol: What would you think the answers would be?

All that said...I'd still chose the Z06 over the 911 S as great as a car as it is....(unless the 2 + 2 features weigh in heavily )

I do believe the GT3 is a hell of a sports club racer.

And the new Cayman S when its available with PDK sequential tranny will be yet another awesome performance car from Porsche!

Nice lineup of sports cars that deserve respect.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts