Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

How could a 398 RWHP / 389 RWTQ (bolt-on Z06) run against an 475RWHP / 500RWTQ Cobra (ported S/C, cai, exhaust, chip, pulley) from a 60-130mph run?

The same Cobra ran against a stock Z06 w/Blackwing (355RWHP) from 60-120mph and got a couple of car lengths on the Z by 120mph.

I don't understand how the Cobra does not pull on a Z by much on the top end considering the Torque advantage it has.

Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Sunrise

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Z06 has better gearing,is lighter by at least 500lbs, and has better aerodynamics. They truly shine on highway and top end races.

·
Registered
858 Posts
A good rule of thumb when racing cobras from a roll on the highway is subtract 60RWHP from the cobra. (Mainly due to the 600# weight difference). That is IF you are not going to go into 5th gear. In 5th gear the better aero properties of a Vette will add a little more advantage. Remember that after 4K rpms torque does not mean squat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Remember that after 4K rpms torque does not mean squat."

sure it does. Torque is what moves the car. HP is just a calculated math problem of torque and rpm. Make a bunch of torque at high rpm, you've made good hp.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
drivinhard said:
"Remember that after 4K rpms torque does not mean squat."

sure it does. Torque is what moves the car. HP is just a calculated math problem of torque and rpm. Make a bunch of torque at high rpm, you've made good hp.

I'd say "Make a bunch of torque at high rpm and you've made assloads of HP."

HP = ( Torque * rpm ) / 5252

F1 cars that make 850hp @ 16000 rpm only make about 250ft/lbs at that rpm. A Winston Cup car making 850hp @ 9000 rpm is making more like 500ft/lb at 9000 rpm. Sounds like a no brainer right? But its really not.

The question really should be: How much area under the HP curve does each engine make. More area = faster. Until you plot each graph, and measure the area, you won't know for sure.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
First thing I would do is not go from 60. Go from 55, that 5 MPH will make a world a difference. You say you have 398 RWHP with bolt on's. So it sounds like you have Headers, air filter and a cat back. That's a strong number for the Mod's. If the Cobra it telling the truth he should Spank you. If he win's it will be by a half car length or less. If you win it won't be by much and you will know he :bs: you on the numbers. :z:

·
Registered
403 Posts
OutlawDon said:
The Z06 has better gearing,is lighter by at least 500lbs, and has better aerodynamics. They truly shine on highway and top end races.
:yeadog:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I just got done racing a pullied, exhaust, intake cobra..look at the link in this racing section for the video

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IT L GO said:
First thing I would do is not go from 60. Go from 55, that 5 MPH will make a world a difference. You say you have 398 RWHP with bolt on's. So it sounds like you have Headers, air filter and a cat back. That's a strong number for the Mod's. If the Cobra it telling the truth he should Spank you. If he win's it will be by a half car length or less. If you win it won't be by much and you will know he :bs: you on the numbers. :z:
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Why from 55? I know that from 60 in 3rd gear I would be at about 3500rpm whereas at 55 I am only at 3200rpm. Why would the 5mph make all the difference?

Yes I have LG LT headers/GHL catback, Vararam/Air bridge and tune yielding 398RW.

Regards,
Sunrise

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
sunrise said:
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Why from 55? I know that from 60 in 3rd gear I would be at about 3500rpm whereas at 55 I am only at 3200rpm. Why would the 5mph make all the difference?

Yes I have LG LT headers/GHL catback, Vararam/Air bridge and tune yielding 398RW.

Regards,
Sunrise
Use 2nd gear. Unless I'm missing something you should't hit third until 71MPH. Actually 50 would be even better. :z:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IT L GO said:
Use 2nd gear. Unless I'm missing something you should't hit third until 71MPH. Actually 50 would be even better. :z:

Hi there,

Yes you are right....but from 55-60 I thought the shift time going from 2nd-3rd will negate the extra power you got so leaving it in 3rd gear from 3500rpm all the way to redline feels faster....any comments? I think around 55-60mph 2nd gear is already close to redline (stock Z06 gear ratio)....am I correct?

Regards,
Sunrise

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
sunrise said:
Hi there,

Yes you are right....but from 55-60 I thought the shift time going from 2nd-3rd will negate the extra power you got so leaving it in 3rd gear from 3500rpm all the way to redline feels faster....any comments? I think around 55-60mph 2nd gear is already close to redline (stock Z06 gear ratio)....am I correct?

Regards,
Sunrise
It depends on your shifting skills. If you can not shift your car fairly well, then it is a better idea for you to start in 3rd at 60. If you can shift well, then start in 2nd and quickly shift into 3rd. Why do this?

Because at 60 in 2nd, your rpms are really high, meaning, when you get on it, you are going to get a vicious jump. That jump is going to help you pull ahead for a second, and if you can shift fast enough, you can keep that lead (Atleast for a while), but if you are not a skilled shifter/driver, then you will lose ground shifting into third.

Do you see what I am saying?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zlicious said:
It depends on your shifting skills. If you can not shift your car fairly well, then it is a better idea for you to start in 3rd at 60. If you can shift well, then start in 2nd and quickly shift into 3rd. Why do this?

Because at 60 in 2nd, your rpms are really high, meaning, when you get on it, you are going to get a vicious jump. That jump is going to help you pull ahead for a second, and if you can shift fast enough, you can keep that lead (Atleast for a while), but if you are not a skilled shifter/driver, then you will lose ground shifting into third.

Do you see what I am saying?

Yes I hear ya.....usually I drop down to 3rd around 60mph on a highway run but I will try out the 50 in 2nd and run it through the end of 3rd. I can shift fairly quickly....did you start in 2nd during your run with the Cobra?

Sunrise

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
sunrise said:
Yes I hear ya.....usually I drop down to 3rd around 60mph on a highway run but I will try out the 50 in 2nd and run it through the end of 3rd. I can shift fairly quickly....did you start in 2nd during your run with the Cobra?

Sunrise
yes, 50 in 2nd. That is your best bet. Just don't make the mistake I made and give him the jump intentionally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’ve killed many bolt on / modded z06's. The last one was a 2 weekends ago at the local target meet. A red MTI 02 -04 z06 with all the bolt on parts plus heads, cam, SC with drag tires. He lost 3 out of 4, you have to put the power down.

I had him by at least 4 cars form a 1st gear 30mph go on three & he was not gaining. 2nd race from a dig even worse, the third from roll as the first he missed third and the forth he was able to pull 1 1/2 on my heat soaked stock heat exchanger, oh well.

I make 460 & 468 at the back with just a 3.1 pulley, cb, offroad, cai & tune. If the other Cobra has not been tuned & stills has his cats, he's probably down 30 hp and 50 tq at the wheels. When my pulley went on the programmer was back ordered, I was 15 hp and 50 tq off my current numbers. I wouldn't want to run hard with out the a/f ratio checked on the dyno.

I am game if any one would like to see what a stock or bolt on z06 would fair against my 460 rwhp full weight Cobra. :thumb:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi there,

Do you know what he was putting down? With H/C I figured atleast 425-440RW which seems to not be in line with most other runs I have seen or heard about.....but of course the driver also comes into play. I'm surprised that he did not put down the power with drag tries.

If you ever make it to Atlanta, GA I'm game for a run. :)

Sunrise

TXTERMINATOR said:
I’ve killed many bolt on / modded z06's. The last one was a 2 weekends ago at the local target meet. A red MTI 02 -04 z06 with all the bolt on parts plus heads, cam, SC with drag tires. He lost 3 out of 4, you have to put the power down.

I had him by at least 4 cars form a 1st gear 30mph go on three & he was not gaining. 2nd race from a dig even worse, the third from roll as the first he missed third and the forth he was able to pull 1 1/2 on my heat soaked stock heat exchanger, oh well.

I make 460 & 468 at the back with just a 3.1 pulley, cb, offroad, cai & tune. If the other Cobra has not been tuned & stills has his cats, he's probably down 30 hp and 50 tq at the wheels. When my pulley went on the programmer was back ordered, I was 15 hp and 50 tq off my current numbers. I wouldn't want to run hard with out the a/f ratio checked on the dyno.

I am game if any one would like to see what a stock or bolt on z06 would fair against my 460 rwhp full weight Cobra. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Youve got to be crazy you beat an LS6 with heads cam bolt ons and a supercharger? That thing can spank ur ass starting at a higher gear or two.,

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
TXTERMINATOR said:

BWAHAHAHA...u beat a HC/bolt/SC on Z06 in your 460 rwhp Cobra? I believe you, if you were in 1st and he was in 3rd :crazy:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts