Corvette Z06 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
TXTERMINATOR said:
COUTO1981 if you run 11.97 or 12.7 you will get beat from a stop or 1st gear roll to the top of my fourth gear. Of course that is based on quarter mile runs. If you look up my previous post I've raced an 11.98 SS wit heads / cam and beat him by at least four cars maybe more. The Cobra you raced needs tires bad.

when I ran the 1/4 against the 550rwhp cobra I ran a 12.7, it was my first run bla bla bla!!! I ran 11.97 a few years later with DRs. actually the cobra I ran did good considering stock tires, Im the one who needed tires, I spun a whole lot. when we raced on top end like I said he gets me from 40 50 60mph rolls, from 70mph on we are dead even, none pull from each other, actually he ran his brother's 911 turbo (not stock) on top end and they are dead even too, after that I raced the 911 TT from 70mph over 5 times and every time we were dead even as well, actaully I got him one time because he was in the wrong gear and he got me one of the times because I forgot my TC on and when I powershifted to 4th it killed the motor :mah: .

whatever, cobras are cool and I love them, but a cobra with 460rwhp will comepete with a bone stock Z06 witch have 350rwhp, versus a 385rwhp Z06 it will get beat at the top end for sure, from a dig a Z06 is harder to launch then the cobra so its all up to the drivers, too bad we are too far away form each other, It would be fun racing you :guiness:

luis

·
Registered
44 Posts
I onced owned a 03' Cobra, It overheated on me 6 times and the dealership kept the car for over a month once. SVT and the Ford dealership could never fix it. They told me there was nothing wrong with the car. Can you say Lemon Law! :mah:

I bought a new 04' Z06 and have never regretted once. The Z06 is the best machine around for the Road Course or the drag strip. :z:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Atl-04Z06 said:
I onced owned a 03' Cobra, It overheated on me 6 times and the dealership kept the car for over a month once. SVT and the Ford dealership could never fix it. They told me there was nothing wrong with the car. Can you say Lemon Law! :mah:

I bought a new 04' Z06 and have never regretted once. The Z06 is the best machine around for the Road Course or the drag strip. :z:

lemons to any manufacture, to any model, at any time, its the way they handle it matters, or yourself by sewing them :jammin: but you are right, I get to ride and drive both cars every week and the Z06 is hands down the Better pick :cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
TXTERMINATOR said:
I’ve killed many bolt on / modded z06's. The last one was a 2 weekends ago at the local target meet. A red MTI 02 -04 z06 with all the bolt on parts plus heads, cam, SC with drag tires. He lost 3 out of 4, you have to put the power down.

I had him by at least 4 cars form a 1st gear 30mph go on three & he was not gaining. 2nd race from a dig even worse, the third from roll as the first he missed third and the forth he was able to pull 1 1/2 on my heat soaked stock heat exchanger, oh well.

I make 460 & 468 at the back with just a 3.1 pulley, cb, offroad, cai & tune. If the other Cobra has not been tuned & stills has his cats, he's probably down 30 hp and 50 tq at the wheels. When my pulley went on the programmer was back ordered, I was 15 hp and 50 tq off my current numbers. I wouldn't want to run hard with out the a/f ratio checked on the dyno.

I am game if any one would like to see what a stock or bolt on z06 would fair against my 460 rwhp full weight Cobra. :thumb:
I'm game....

I just sold my 03KB Cobra 563rwhp,511tq and bought a 2000FRC vette with Cartek stage 2X H/C,FPIS headers, etc. Dyno'd last week at MTI 420rwhp369tq. Car is at MTI today gettting meizere elec water pump put on and getting the PCM flashed and retuned - god knows why but the PCM was locked by CARTEK....I have the check engine light on and can't clear it....

Should have the car back tomorrow, with the MTI tune and the water pump on I should be around 425 - 430 rwhp.

The guy I bought the vette from just put on new michelin PS 2's last month so traction has not been an issue.

I live in Missouri City - PM me and we can hook-up some where around the greater Houston area in the near future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No game after all.... until later this summer

MTI called me at work this afternoon, said there was a problem with the car..... :jawdrop:

I go to the shop and they unscrew my oil cap and smoke is being pushed out at a fairly good velocity...

In addition to locking the PCM, CARTEK set an extremely aggresive tune ( read very very lean) and I have a major problem now. :mah:

Explanation was piston ringland is bad.

I bought the car for 25K (not a bad deal with all the aftermarket parts) and now this is going to cost several thousand more .

I am going to put the 383 stroker package in from MTI, and not look behind.

I will be game again this August, lead time is 10 -12 weeks for this package.

Yes, I will call the guy I bought the car from, he has over 2500 posts on corvetteforum, no issues with him - as they say buyer beware - especially with high performance sports cars.

Hey, I am coming out ahead of this because a supercharger is going on top of this forged 383 this fall along with some nittos - let's party my man.... stay in touch txterminator :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was going to say lets hook up this week, but after all those mods go on :eek2: Tell me you sold the Cobra with the heaton on it and still have the KB laying around for sale :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sold the KB with the Cobra to a guy from Atlanta, sold after 2 days on e-bay for 29.5K

·
Registered
71 Posts
TXTERMINATOR said:
Qksvr do your ever go to any of the weekend car hangouts like Sams, Ottos bbq, Target?
No, we hangout at HRP for the most part. Which that may slow down with the summer heat at hand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am not here to say one car is better than the other...blah,blah,blah, but something is seriously wrong if a 450 hp Cobra cant pull on a stock Z06. I am at 500+ hp and run 11.8 @ 116 or so here at a mile high. A guy I know just got a Z06, with a couple mods, and put a 75 shot on it. This guy knows how to drive too, and the best he could muster is a 13.2 @ 111. He had a bad 60ft so that reflects in the ET a little, but look at the MPH. Not even close to 116, thats for sure, and that's with a 75 shot. 2 cars trapping 5 mph differently is going to be pretty ugly on the street from a roll. Stock Z06s run 13.8-14.2 up here BTW...

·
Registered
64 Posts
srmz06 said:
keep dreaming.BTW I don't know modified which is faster, but I can tell you which is better
I assume you are talking to someone else about dreaming?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
sambandit said:
I am not here to say one car is better than the other...blah,blah,blah, but something is seriously wrong if a 450 hp Cobra cant pull on a stock Z06. I am at 500+ hp and run 11.8 @ 116 or so here at a mile high. A guy I know just got a Z06, with a couple mods, and put a 75 shot on it. This guy knows how to drive too, and the best he could muster is a 13.2 @ 111. He had a bad 60ft so that reflects in the ET a little, but look at the MPH. Not even close to 116, thats for sure, and that's with a 75 shot. 2 cars trapping 5 mph differently is going to be pretty ugly on the street from a roll. Stock Z06s run 13.8-14.2 up here BTW...

well let me tell you, conversations so far have been disputable, but yours is by far the dumbest thing I ever heard, are you joking :-? a z06 runs 13s or 14s :-? I dont care were its at, I'll take any 02-04 Z06, any time, any weather, any place and run at least 116mph bone stock.and Im not the best vette driver either, I ran mine in summer weather at 117mph as well with 200miles on the odometer :jammin:

IF your 500+ hp cobra ran 11.8 @116 then my car bone stock will kill you from a 70mph roll, your mph was most likely accumated mostly before the 1/8 when compared to a stock Z06, but who knows, by those stories you tell, It all seems like lies so why argue with fictional data :-?

BTW, noone here ever agreed that a stock Z06 couldnt take a slighty modified cobra from a 70mph roll ect, even the cobra guys admited, its how much modified the cobra is that is argumental, I said for instance I can keep up with a 500rwhp cobra from 70mph, and Im sticking to it, I just wish there was a open and safe track to prove this point, as far as your numbers, forget about them, you're as right as much as your cobra is a chevy :-?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
well let me tell you, conversations so far have been disputable, but yours is by far the dumbest thing I ever heard, are you joking :-? a z06 runs 13s or 14s :-? I dont care were its at, I'll take any 02-04 Z06, any time, any weather, any place and run at least 116mph bone stock.and Im not the best vette driver either, I ran mine in summer weather at 117mph as well with 200miles on the odometer :jammin:

Uhh.

Sure beavis. You go run a 116 @ 5k feet.

You do realize you're down 15-20% on power right? At that altitude my car runs with a stock 03 cobra, where down low I should have left him.

Sorry to side with the cobra guys here, but you're making an ass of yourself.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
mgarfias said:
Uhh.

Sure beavis. You go run a 116 @ 5k feet.

You do realize you're down 15-20% on power right? At that altitude my car runs with a stock 03 cobra, where down low I should have left him.

Sorry to side with the cobra guys here, but you're making an ass of yourself.

So!! you are saying that around there you run with the cobras but around here you would leave them, so cobras dont get effected by the 5k feet, just Z06s right? who's making a a$$ of himself me or you? Damn both you clowns came from the same place :rofl:

luis

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
You have to be crazy if you think a cobra can touch a Z with nitrous. Its just STUPID.

Luis, higher altitude means less dense air resulting in severe power loss for naturally aspiraited and not so severe for forced induction motors.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
So!! you are saying that around there you run with the cobras but around here you would leave them, so cobras dont get effected by the 5k feet, just Z06s right? who's making a a$$ of himself me or you? Damn both you clowns came from the same place :rofl:

luis
Actually Luis, there is some basis behind some of these Cobra claims. The reason why a car might get beaten at an 'altitude' track and not at a 'sea level' track is, of course, air density. Air density (altitude) will effect N/A cars far more severely that F/I cars. Since the Cobra is 'factory blown' (at least the newer models), it is quite possible that what is being said in the above posts is correct. Sambandit claims to have over 500rwhp, therefore you can pretty much figure that he has at least a stock blower (Eaton), if not an upgrade to a better one (KB, perhaps).
I don't know about the truth of his claims vegarding the Z06 but I have read postings here on the sight by members who could not get out of the 13's on their stock Z06's due to the altitude.

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not sure what is so hard for you guys to believe..

Take a look at this post

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566447
Post #7

This is the guy I am talking about. 13.8 @ 103 NA and 13.2 at 110 with a 75 shot.

You guys can piss and moan all you want about this or that, but these are hard numbers. Not some BS road race story with no vid, this is pretty cut and dry...

For those of you that believe SC cars aren't effected as much by elevation as NA cars are sadly mistaken as well. Just to prove a point, if my car is effected less at sea level as a NA car, what do you suppose my car should run at sea level if I run 11.9 at 116 here on a 8000 DA day?

·
Registered
64 Posts
COUTO1981 said:

IF your 500+ hp cobra ran 11.8 @116 then my car bone stock will kill you from a 70mph roll, your mph was most likely accumated mostly before the 1/8 when compared to a stock Z06, but who knows, by those stories you tell, It all seems like lies so why argue with fictional data :-?

BTW, noone here ever agreed that a stock Z06 couldnt take a slighty modified cobra from a 70mph roll ect, even the cobra guys admited, its how much modified the cobra is that is argumental, I said for instance I can keep up with a 500rwhp cobra from 70mph, and Im sticking to it, I just wish there was a open and safe track to prove this point, as far as your numbers, forget about them, you're as right as much as your cobra is a chevy :-?
You obviously haven't a clue about what it is like to run at 8000ft DA. Bring that bad boy up here and I'll buy you a beer if you bust into the 13s.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
sambandit said:
For those of you that believe SC cars aren't effected as much by elevation as NA cars are sadly mistaken as well.
Didn't say that SC cars aren't effected by DA, padner!
I said that an N/A car is effected to a greater degree. If you don't believe or understand why, I suggest you take some courses on combustion engines.

Mike

41 - 60 of 86 Posts