Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I know there are differences in gearing, and many other difference between the engines in these cars, but shouldn't the Zee win in a drag (assuming both drivers have the same skill, both manual tranny), since it has a little over 50HP more (around 385HP vs the BMW's 333HP). :-?
Has anyone ever raced an E46 M3 in the 1/4 mile drag, or even in the street a good distance (more than light to light)? I haven't yet, but I have a friend with a bone stock '05 M3 that swears he can either beat me, or be exactly even, despite the difference in HP...
The only mod I have is that I removed the stock air box, so that should get me somewhat near the HP of a stock '02 Zee, so technically, you can still consider my Z stock (if I surpass 405HP with mods, then I wouldn't consider it "stock"). :D

Also, do any of you powershift into 3rd when dragging? I have never done it in fear that the back end will come out on me... I'm thinking it might push too much torque to the back wheels powershifting into 3rd. Any feedback on this (from those of you that have actually tried it)? Shouldn't it help decrease 1/4 mile times?

We plan to go to Englishtown very soon to settle this debate! Even if we don't get to drag against each other, whoever pulls in the best 1/4 mi. takes it. And to make it even more interesting, our other friend with a stock '04 Ev0 be coming as well! I predict I'll take 'em both down.. :thumb:

Anyone else here go to Englishtown??

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
here it goes :p

I can help on this, My brother has a 2004 M3 and he lives with me, Its in the same garage, they sleep together :D I have the 405hp z06, his is the 333hp, but they are underated, I heard they dyno 300rwhp at the rear, and I believe that! We havent raced side by side many times, but let me just say that the M3 even with less tire and way more weight, less torque, it still launches pretty decent considering the IRS. If Im on the street with no prep time, he can suprising jump on me because all I can do is baby it out of the whole, but passed 2nd I'll cruise by him and into 3rd its no longer a race :D . My best on street tires bone stock was 12.6, with about 10 passes worth, my brother with maybe 3-4 passes only of practice managed a 13.4, but I believe he can kiss the 12s, but at least very low 13s with ALOT of practice, then again I heard stock Z06s with ALOT of practice went very low 12s and some kissed 11s, so They ARE a second apart in the 1/4, considering same conditions and same driver type, But remember these are both sensitive cars, you can ruinin the whole run in the first 100 feet :crazy: , if you spin 1st and overpower your stock tires,

so a fact is that the M3 should have nothing on you, and you dont really have to try, but dont sleep on him because your worst is his best, and that could make it a tight race, If you miss a gear it gives another brake too, I say get a REAL tire pressure gauge, get your rear around 28psi, fill up the fronts to about 45psi(trust me), then on the launch hold at about 3000rpms, let it hook and then squeeze the throddle and make sure to baby shift into 2nd if your on your F1s, then 3rd its all up to you and the track temperatures for you to know to power shift or not, but not to worry, if you get it out of the whole without to much sloppy work, just let the Z06s power take the rest, go close to redline and shift into 4th, and you will trap into 115mph at least and he will trap 106mph the most, so it wont even break a sweat on your z06. you should run into high 12s on your first try, his best try will give him a low 13 IF he's good and lucky :pp:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Btw, I just noticed you said you never power shift into 3rd, then dont, most likely you'll miss it, I powershifted so many 3rd countless times, and I still on occasion miss it, The worst that can happen if you baby it into 3rd, is well ............nothing, remember you're racing an M3, he'll be trying to catch up and wont if you dont miss a gear :thumb:

well... maybe if you mess up on the start, and for some reason you're behing, dont try to make up for it, just let the power take you pass him! the worst thing you can do when racing is get anxious and nervous to catch and make a bigger mistake, plus arent you going to have more then once to run, or you guys are just doing a one run bet?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Please...there is no contest. I have a friend with Dinan ///M3 and a stock Z06 will blow a stock ///M3 away everytime unless the driver of the former is a retard. The Bimmer makes 333 bhp at the crank and 283 at the rear via an inline 3.2 liter six cylinder. The Bimmer also weighs 300 lbs more and has a Cd of a brick since its really a sport's sedan and not a sport's car. The Vette makes more power at the rear than the M3 makes at the crank. I've personally never had any difficulty blowing doors off of German cars - any and all - and now I generally don't even bother wasting my gas on them... The M3 handles well and is easy to drive quickly but I do not consider it a "fast" car in the same league as a Viper, Vette, or Ferarri 355, or a 427 C5R Vette...

Viper Eater

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I got so exited about the thread :crazy: , that I missed the important details of your question and I blabbled on and on :pp: Im pretty sure everyone agrees with me on this, anyway I'll keep talking :pp:

You did say with same driver ability ect, Then its not a race :coo: the z06 will run a second apart in the 1/4 which puts them in diffrent categories, plus my Z06 never ran under 116mph, mostly 117mph in the traps and my bros M3 the most was 106mph, so thats shows its not in the same league either, as far as powershiting into 3rd, considering track conditions, you could slow down by power shifting or not, I say if you want to try it, put the car in Competitive mode and you can powershift without loosing the rear end, I power shift into 3rd ALL THE TIME with the system all off, but at the track there might be oil and I leave it in competitive mode, hope that clears it up some :thumb: as far as the evo, all its go on you is the first 60ft(if he can launch it) the rest is all the M3s to give the evo a break :pp:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
Please...there is no contest. I have a friend with Dinan ///M3 and a stock Z06 will blow a stock ///M3 away everytime unless the driver of the former is a retard. The Bimmer makes 333 bhp at the crank and 283 at the rear via an inline 3.2 liter six cylinder. The Bimmer also weighs 300 lbs more and has a Cd of a brick since its really a sport's sedan and not a sport's car. The Vette makes more power at the rear than the M3 makes at the crank. I've personally never had any difficulty blowing doors off of German cars - any and all - and now I generally don't even bother wasting my gas on them... The M3 handles well and is easy to drive quickly but I do not consider it a "fast" car in the same league as a Viper, Vette, or Ferarri 355, or a 427 C5R Vette...

Viper Eater
283, sounds about right, some have dynoed at 300rwhp, who knows!!! and it weighs more like 350lbs more, it is not in our league, but I have to say that it is on the Ferrari 355s league, oh and the vettes league, I believe our Z06s are in the league apart the stock vettes, and the M3 could handle right there if not better then a stock C5 and run the 1/4 right there with a regular C5, the number tell it all :thumb:

so we can put the viper, z06,911TT,360 in one league

and a league right underneath, C5vette, 911, M3 and 355 :pp:

:lol: I never heard of a 427 C5R vette I could buy from factory :lol:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! :D

I'm just concerned because I only have an '01 Zee, and that only gives me about 50 more HP (385 stock) than his stock E46 M3 (333 stock).
Although, I did remove the stock filter cover, and that helps the Zee breathe a LOT better - it should have given me about 10-15 more HP, but definitely not more than 15HP. So, technically I guess you could say I have about 60-65 more HP... but I didn't think that would be enough of a difference to blow his doors off.. :-?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Double-clutching...

I forgot to ask before... do any of you ever 'double-clutch' in between shifts? Do you think that would decrease 1/4 mi. times at all? From a technical standpoint, I would think it should help, since it seems to give a nice "boost". I know it's probably not that good for the transmission, but it does give a sweet boost....almost like a very short-lived mini NOS shot. :D
Suffice to say, to pull all that off cleanly in a run would take a lot of skill... you'd have to get a nice launch, then squeeze gradually through to 2nd... then at almost WOT in 2nd, clutch out then back in quickly, then power shift into 3rd...

I really wish I had a track nearby... I'd love to practice and test all these things out!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah there's no way he will keep up with you. My Ferrari 355runs with standard C5s and my M3 is a hair slower. Not much but just a hair. So a Z would easily win I think. Ihave never raced one though. Mine are both convertibles though. A hard top may do a little better but not much.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad to hear all of this - I better win! I'm pretty good with shifting, so I don't see why I wouldn't. We're good friends, so I know his M3 is definitely stock... so I don't have to worry about it being a sleeper.
But I've driven with him in the M3, and even when he launches it really hard, the rear wheels don't spin much at all, so I'm guessing he'll get a good jump on me! :bmad: Not only that, it seemed very powerful, even midrange.

Originally, I thought I'd only have enough power to run him down and barely pass (depending on distance)... but from what I'm hearing from you guys, I should be able to take him out in the 1/4 mi easily.

I guarantee he'll want to run me light to light when it gets a little nicer out, after a few nice rains wash all the salt and crap off of the roads, but I'll have to gracefully decline, because I don't think I'll win light to light in a short distance. I'll just tell him he'll have wait till we get to the track... :sneaky:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Power shifting?

Forgive my ignorance but im a tad unsure what power shifting is.... does htis entail keeping your foot on the gas and changing gears without clutching? Thanks fellas!

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I sucked up a Dinan blown M3 on a 70 roll, but it was LOTS closer than I want to admit....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Young Jedi, power shifting is staying on the gas and USING the clutch...

Darth

·
Registered
378 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
I guarantee he'll want to run me light to light when it gets a little nicer out, after a few nice rains wash all the salt and crap off of the roads, but I'll have to gracefully decline, because I don't think I'll win light to light in a short distance. I'll just tell him he'll have wait till we get to the track... :sneaky:
You will have no prob light to light against an M3. My nephew has an '04 M3 and we have now gone head to head dozens of times on the street. Even before my mods it was no contest but then again I have an '04, has a few more ponies than a stock '01. The M3's are fast but not that fast where you will need to worry. Just concentrate on what you need to do and pay no attention to the bimmer.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've run one and it was ugly. I had him by about 3 cars in 1st by the top of 2nd he was easily 6-7 cars back and I quit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
Thanks for the replies guys! :D

I'm just concerned because I only have an '01 Zee, and that only gives me about 50 more HP (385 stock) than his stock E46 M3 (333 stock).
Although, I did remove the stock filter cover, and that helps the Zee breathe a LOT better - it should have given me about 10-15 more HP, but definitely not more than 15HP. So, technically I guess you could say I have about 60-65 more HP... but I didn't think that would be enough of a difference to blow his doors off.. :-?
Not only will you blow his doors off, but he may blow his engine up. It is a common occurance with the highly tweaked 6 in the E46 M3. (see here)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You should be able to take him fairly easily! Just don't light up your tires off the launch & you'll be fine. Powershifting (keeping the throttle on the mat while you shift) WILL lower your ET slightly, but puts more wear on your tranny & requires good synchronized hand/foot speed. Double clutching does not give any "boost" as you mentioned, but will increase your ET significantly, as it takes a lot of time to perform & is not necessary.
Many folks here go to Englishtown to race their cars, myself included (see video in my sig from Etown of my to date best run). This past Saturday was this years 1st Corvette Challange!
Hope this helps!
Ron

·
Registered
967 Posts
Fragile said:
Not only will you blow his doors off, but he may blow his engine up. It is a common occurance with the highly tweaked 6 in the E46 M3. (see here)
That issue's been dealt with a looong time ago........ :roll:

Remember there is an optional SMG tranny on the E46 M3's.
It also comes with Launch Control (Computer Controlled Launch). If he knowledgeable in it’s function, the M3 will likely out-launch you, and with paddle shifting that shift's in .08 seconds, he'll likely not only shift perfectly, but highly unlikely he'll miss a shift; unless he's paying attention to you and not the tach. With all these computer aids, it makes it very simple for someone to extract very good and reliable times from the car.

Having said all that, let me say that there is no comparison in acceleration between the two. Just so long you don't badly spin in 1st and 2nd, and miss a shift; the M3 will go down easy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man, I don't know guys - maybe it's just the cold weather and salt/sand all over the roads from past snowfalls, but it seems like even when I get on the gas moderately going into 2nd and 3rd, the rears spin like mad...and the only way to recover is to let off completely, which would set me back a good bit!
When we race I know I'll be anxious (which is bad) - even knowing I should win, I'm gonna have it in my head that the damn tires are gonna spin while I watch him take off. I'll just have to keep it cool, launch nice, and not get on the gas too much.. even though it seems like even half throttle makes 'em spin. :bmad: the Z is a damn beast.
I'm guessing it will be totally different once the weather improves, the temps rise, and all the crap is cleared off the roads from a few heavy rainfalls. Then I bet I'll get em to hook up nicely to the asphalt. :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts