Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are probably tons of threads about it...but i'd like to get real opinions of peolpe who actually drove both.
also, dont really care if one does 12.5 and the other one does 12.4 at the 1/4 mile...i'm looking for SOTP type of feelings.

From what I read, Viper is and feel faster than the Z06 (02-04): why so after all? torque?
Viper (i'm talking about the GenII GTS) is 450hp but a good 300lbs heavier than the Z.

any of u have experienced both cars or raced one Viper?

thanks!
-Matt

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
my 01 GTS has LOTS of torque:thumb:

my Z06 is awsome in the twisties

bottom line for me on what I feel different

here's a pic of my 2 children-oh and that's MSiska's lovely daughter on the L, me on the R-heading to the Z06fest :thumb:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My experience with the Viper came through a Skip Barber course I took a few years back. I was very exciting and looking forward to an afternoon in the thing. While it was great fun flying around with no flashing blue lights in the mirror, and while the car does have awesome capabilities, when I gave them the keys back, I was perfectly happy that it wasn't my car. The handling was way too fidgety, the car was hard to get in and out of, it it sounded like a dump truck....I could go on and on. Honestly, other than the looks, there was nothing I really liked about the car, and I was perfectly happy to go back home to my Mustang. Viper owners will likely recoil at that and take it as an insult, but it's not, simply a statement of one who played with one on the track and walked about not particularly impressed.

I do like the looks of the new ones a lot, but given the specs of the C6 Z06, I wouldn't even remotely consider looking at one.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i bought my 2001 viper GTS-ACR coupe to do 1 mile top speed shootuts and go road racing with. short tracks and long tracks from phoenix international raceways 1.5 mile road course to willow springs 2.5 mile road course and everything in between. i am in the process of modifying my viper for this endeavor. i will be debuting the car at nevadas annual silver state classic (long course timed road race event) next year as i will be running in the GT class.

i bought my year 2004 Z06 as a daily driver street car and a street racer. the only mods i have done to my Z16 are intake and exhaust mods with LS1 edit. i also put in a way radical stereo sytem with 11 speakers and 1500 watts in the form of 2 amps, etc. obviously the vette is way more comfortable on the street than a viper for obvious reasons. i will spare you all the details on this one, because you already know most of them. but heres one believe it or not that you might not have thought of: the viper attracts way more attention than the vette, sometimes this is good (read hot chix looking to score) and sometimes this is bad (theives, drunks, ghetto people, etc.). the viper generates more attention because it looks sexier than the vette and is much more rare to see. also the V-10 engine with its 488 cubic inches is unique and feels like a big block. this gives people wood. in terms of acceleration the vette is decievious. the vette at sprints up to about 100-120 mph or so does feel faster than a viper though and this is because of its more agressive gearing and lighter weight, etc. beyond 1/4 mile speeds though the viper has way more pull and top end and feels way more solid and stable especially when negotiating high speed, high-g turns at 100+ mph.

with that said, i feel that both of these cars are road race oriented and not drag race oriented. i have my year 2001 ford lightning truck and my year 2001 camaro SS that i use for drag racing. the camaro and the lightning both have automatic transmissions and solid rear ends like the muscle cars of the 60's. this make for a way better mount when drag racing than a car with an independent rear end and manual transmission such as a viper or vette. automatic transmisions are way more consistent as far as 60 foot times go and brakcet racing dial-ins are concerened. also solid live axle rear ends when built right are way more reliable than a independent rear end is concerning durability.

i picked my vette over my viper as the street car because it is more user friendly on the street. by the same token i feel that the my viper is a better road racing track car than my vette for the following reasons. the frame has a way higher torsional rigidity. the ACR suspension has double the spring rate of my Z16. the suspension is a full coil over adjustable ride height affair with controls to adjust the shox compression and rebound dampning rates. obviously the viper has way more hp and torque when built in a normally aspirated form or turbocharged (nitrous and superchargers have no place on a road course). as far as the brakes and cooling goes both cars systems are inadaquate for a road racing endeavour in stock form. yes, they both can be upgraded and when i put the newer vipers srt-10 brakes on my gen 2 viper its gonna be awesome. i can even upgrade to the comp coupes braking system complete with master cylinder, etc. i have ABS but that is not really necessary for a good road course driver.

bottom line i just felt that i could go faster in my modified viper versus modifying my vette. to attain the kind of lap times that i will generate in my viper i would have to do way more surgery to my vette than my viper. yes the vette would be cheaper as it costs less $$$ to buy upfront and mod. but at the end of the day the viper has a higher resale value especially with less track mods done to it and it just plain out has sexier looks to me.

now the new C6 Z06 is gonna be a different beast altogether but i still think i can take it with the mods i am doin to my viper. if i sound pro-viper you would be correct. obviously i dont have anything against chevrolet as i own and operate many chevy's. but at the the end of the day sex is what sells me. the viper is more rare and just looks hotter and this is the tail that wags the dog for me.

the next car i will be buying is a ford GT. gonna be pimpin this at 1 mile top speed shootouts and nevadas silver state classic, no short track road racing for this cat though because that supercharger will over heat on a short track. i also intend to sell my Z16 and buy the new C6 Z06 eventually. the new C6 ZO6 will still be used as a daily driver for me but i might retire my viper from short track road racing at that time and use the new 6C Z06 to road race on short tracks with. i will still use my viper for nevadas annual long distance road race though. the top end pull on a viper is amazing. its thoroughbred qualities truly do make even a Z06 feel like a 1/4 horse at speeds above 100 mph.

:usa:

the pix you see below are of my viper and my vette

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not really into drag racing, but I did run with a GTS once at Willow Springs the last time I was there. Mind you this was the first time at the track (in my Z06) & it was on stock Supercars, & I am not the worlds greatest driver. So with all that being said, the GTS was faster than me throughout the whole course, he kept gaining distance as we went around. I don't know what tires he was running or what mods he may have, but I was a little disappointed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the feedbacks...
Fast Freddy,
thx for the very technical narrative!
so it looks like the Z06 can hang with the Viper until 100mph or so, correct...?
so, same acceleartion from a stop?
ur Viper puts 452rwhp! is that stock??

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was torn between getting a Viper and a Z06. The only thing I REALLY hate about the Viper is the sound of the exhaust. It just sounds like crap in my opinion because of the 10 cylinders just dont sound right. Even with aftermarket exhaust I just cant get used to that exhaust tone. I rate very highly the crowd appeak of a car and the Viper does win over in that respect because you just dont see many driving on the street. A few weeks ago and a pretty large strret car show here 1 Viper was there and 6 Z06's from various years. Most of the crowd was checking out the Viper...

I still really hadn't made up my mind when my brother in law came over last week and asked if I wanted to buy his 03 Z06. I owned it 3 days later. Got 1 helluva deal and am happy as can be.

So maybe a Viper another time perhaps....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but did u drive the Viper?
can u compare it to the Z as far as SOTP accelearation goes?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes ive driven a Viper. i was impressed with everything except the sound of it. It was harder to get in and out of also. Couldnt really tell any difference in the accerlation of either car. Top speed or racing either from 100+ i wasnt comparing as that is of no concern with me. I would have taken either one but since the vette was dropped in my lap I took it.

Like I said I like the Viper for the crowd appeal it has and different looks. Vettes are everywhere around here, Vipers are not.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Since I am 6'2" 260 lbs and my son is 6'3" 295 lbs the vette is definatly a better fit for both of us in those regards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys, but i'm more interested in the accelaration and feelings of the cars than how good it looks, how easy it is to get in/out, how bad the sound of the exhaust is, how much crowd appeal it has...
i dont need to be conviced about the Z since I owe one and i'm really happy with it.
i'm trying to get opinions from people who drove both: which one did u feel was faster or gave more adrenaline rush?
thx again!

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I think several of us who own both posted...?

Like we are saying, their both completely different cars-each one is unique in it's own way of giving you the "rush"

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hmm ... I have driven a Gen I, II and new SRT Vipers. I like the curb appeal in all, they turn more heads than a Vette for sure, but that is not enough reason IMO to own one. I have driven the Gen I and II at the drag strip, lots of power down low, they fall over at 5K or so and VERY hard to drive fast compared to the Z. All 3 are very cramped inside for those of us over 6' tall and/or over 200 pounds. All are hot inside compared to the Z. All lack a dead pedal space for your left foot, I have very big feet so that would be an issue for me on a long trip, but the Viper is not built as a cruiser. The SRT with equal drivers will beat the Z in a drag race, every time stock to stock, and has a lot more on the top end. The Z will beat the Gen I every time, and it is a drivers race in a Gen II.

Both are awesome cars. I like my Z, for me and how I use the car, a bit better.

Les

matthieuallie said:
thanks guys, but i'm more interested in the accelaration and feelings of the cars than how good it looks, how easy it is to get in/out, how bad the sound of the exhaust is, how much crowd appeal it has...
i dont need to be conviced about the Z since I owe one and i'm really happy with it.
i'm trying to get opinions from people who drove both: which one did u feel was faster or gave more adrenaline rush?
thx again!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I also agree with most of what has been said here.

I thought the Viper felt faster, it was the torque for sure. The vette is the most "deceptively fast" car ever. You're moving quick, but the car is sooo linear that you don't always appreciate how fast it is. The vette pulls hard at all rpms, the Viper can get you into trouble at any rpm.

HP/Wt ratio is almost the same between the two.

The only comments freddy made that I disagree with are:
1) The vette has a stiffer chassis than a GTS Viper, by a pretty good margin.

2) The vette will beat the Viper on a road course in the hands of most all drivers. And you'll feel MUCH more confident learning to go fast in the vette with the AH. Over 100mph cornering, the vette isn't perfect (as he noted), but 100+mph corners aren't real common at most road courses. That is partly due the the vette being more aerodynamic, but not having a lot of downforce.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't have time to address every point on here right now, but I'd like to start wtih the sound one. For anyone who can afford a Viper or a Z06, can afford $1700 in exhuast mods.

When I first got my Viper, I longed for more/throatier sound as well. I got high-flow cats and a Corsa exhaust installed. Now it sounds unbelievable, better than any car I've ever heard.

So my point is that if you're thinking about a Viper, don't make sound a huge factor in your decision, because that can be more than fixed easily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have time to address every point on here right now, but I'd like to start wtih the sound one. For anyone who can afford a Viper or a Z06, can afford $1700 in exhuast mods.

When I first got my Viper, I longed for more/throatier sound as well. I got high-flow cats and a Corsa exhaust installed. Now it sounds unbelievable, better than any car I've ever heard.

So my point is that if you're thinking about a Viper, don't make sound a huge factor in your decision, because that can be more than fixed easily.
I agree, I used to be on this board(actually was a moderator), and I have always been pro vette, I still am, Ive had 4 of them the last vette was a highly modded Z06. Last week I bought a low mileage 99 viper GTS ACR, it has the Borla/mopar exhaust, and 355 gears in it, they came stock with the smooth tubes, and the light BBS wheels. I can honestly tell you that car sticks like glue, it handles much better than my stock Z did, and equal drivers, in the 1/4, forget about it, the ride is slightly rougher but not much, SVS did dial in the suspension however, as the ACR came with adjustable suspension. The air work fine, as far as the sound I was very surprised, with the borlas on it that car just sounds evil!, 99 was the last year or the forged internals and the lumpy agressive cam, it rumbles almost like my after market 567 lift cam in the vette as it should, its a 542 from the factory, the feel of the interior is totally different than the vette, the vette has much more room where the Viper is more like a cockpit. Think of the Viper as more C4 type feeling inside. The steering is much more tight on the Viper than in the Vette, you feel more that you are in control, its just a totally different car I love corvettes and always will, but it was a time for change,I love the new Z06, but by just looking at the car, most cant tell if it a regular vette or a z, I wish they changed it more than they did, I don't like the looks of the gen 3 viper, but I still think the gen 2 Viper looks better than the new Zo6. There is one in my area, and I'm going to see wow my 9 year old car does against the Z, I'm very curious, cause I know the Z is a beast, but I also know my Viper has more power and is 200lbs lighter than the standard GTS and has 355 gears, it should be a good race we will see, I already whomped an 05 srt who knew how to drive and had exhaust and special air filter dual cone setup. I also dont like chevy keeping everything a secret until the last minute, so they can get the people who want the latest and greatest, as they always do, hell they got me one year. Most Vipers were underrated anyway(just like the new Z06, most dynos support closer to 550hp instead of 505) especially the 96-99, they were pushing closer to 500 hp than to 450, even the 460 acr was underrated, factory claimed 11.9 in the 1/4 and top speed 192, that was quite a difference from 12.4 at 117 top speed 185 for the GTS, which I have seen run beter stock with good drivers, yes the vette has more comfort and gadgets, which are great, I loved them and wished my viper had them, but all this nonsence about the Viper being hard to drive etc, is nothing I have expierienced. Both are great cars,I have owner both of them and I love them both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
:-? :-? ..and what was your username when you were on the site as a moderator?

Mike
Oh God that was such a long time ago, I believe I was NYTMEREZ06, this site was spawned off of corvette forums, I dont know if it was you, but the person who created this site was asking for moderators for this site right when it was born, he was a nice guy, gave me a free year subscription the Corvette Quaterly, this was back in 2000, when the Z06 came out. Ive been off all the boards, for a long time. This site has exploded!! looks great!!!, I am now on the VCA board, and I can tell you, it is not what I'm used to,allot those guys are total jerks, they really are one sided, I just tell it like it is, I love both cars.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts