Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my Z in for sticking brakes and whistling noise. Referring to forum posts I got the service guys to check with TAM about replacing booster. They replaced booster and brake pressure modulator.
Convinced them to check on whistle with TAM as well. TAM said it is a common problem on Z06 caused by throttle body. Unfortunately they do not yet have a know solution. Service writer has fax reply from TAM that they will notify dealer when they have a fix. Dealer is to contact me for repair at that time.
Whistle occurs between 2000-2500 rpm. Sometimes it is constant at fixed rpm, but it usually occurs only when rpms are varying and then mostly on the increase of rpm.
It was not all that easy to get service writer to listen. They lost several days trying to diagnose the problems themselves before calling TAM. They would never have called TAM without all the supporting info from this forum. I did get a free oil change in the interest of customer relations as they had my Z for 10 days.
Note: I bought Z06 out of state from Internet, but got no flak from local dealer about providing service or complaint I did not buy from them. Called on Wed got appointment for that Fri. They were slow and did try the old could not duplicate and thats normal on C5, but did a good job after a little pushing.

------------------
Blk/Blk Z06
Stock

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Z06 whistles with the stock setup. It's not real loud, and doesn't bother me. I like all the sounds my engine makes. Like JC says, it snaps, it whistles, the exhaust pops. It's great.

------------------
-derek Z06 Black/Mod.Torch

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I think the whistling started after.

Speed I really noticed it on yours when I was pulling out of your garage and you were behind me. It's really loud from the front.

I bet if you sand those spider things out it would improve...

JC

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would assume that the whistling sound is normal under engine vacuum....? I think all C5's with the Halltech setup do it. I remember hearing on the CF about it before I put mine on. I think it's kind of cool, and it scares the hell out of people! /ubb/smilies/smile.gif

-Speed

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Z06
Lowered,178 thermostat w/ fan controller, Ripper, !CAGS, B+B PRT w/ Speedway tips, TRIC one-piece with CF Cobra, GMS MAF, and TPIS long tubes
AOL IM: Speedshift

·
Registered
99 Posts
No whistle here. Just a rattle, crackle and a tapping. If you add the whistle and a symbol I just might have a band. /ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif

------------------

2001 Quicksilver ZO6
Blk/Red interior
Ripper w/ Momo knob
Vortex Ram Air

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I like the slight whistle....just wait, this car will rattle, snap, crackle, pop, whine, tap, click and clunk.....Reminds me of my old solid lifter small blocks in my Camaro and the big block in my old Trans Am.....
Noisy, but fast as hell.

But, man, what a driver's car....

JC

·
Registered
43 Posts
The only time I ever noticed the whistle is after installing the Halltech. JC, did your car whistle before the Halltech?

-Speed

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Z06
Lowered,178 thermostat w/ fan controller, Ripper, !CAGS, B+B PRT w/ Speedway tips, TRIC one-piece with CF Cobra, GMS MAF, and TPIS long tubes
AOL IM: Speedshift

1 - 8 of 8 Posts