Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just put my newly aqcuired MTI Z07 (427 C5R motor) on the rollers... its a A4 so hence the lower #'s...

enjoy...

Dyno vid

Aj

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Did MTI build the motor for you and then ship it to you or did you send your car down here for them to install and tune it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i actually bought it built from MTI C5R Roadster here on the forum... i did a few little things...

i don't see how i can get anymore juice out of this thing..everything is done...LOL... i just wish it were a manual, i could potentially see mid 500s at the wheel... but that A4 tranny really sucks up the power... ohh well..better safe than sorry right!

Aj

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The reason I asked if the car was there or not is because I'm down there all the time...just wondering if I've seen it before. What color is it? I agree that the A4 will hurt you on the dyno...but, it's the track numbers that really count. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
1 BAD BURB said:
just put my newly aqcuired MTI Z07 (427 C5R motor) on the rollers... its a A4 so hence the lower #'s...

enjoy...

Dyno vid

Aj
Nice. I assume an A4 is the automatic four-speed. Also assume the cam is relatively mild cam as those numbers look low for a 427 C5R out of MTI.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
case2307 said:
The reason I asked if the car was there or not is because I'm down there all the time...just wondering if I've seen it before. What color is it? I agree that the A4 will hurt you on the dyno...but, it's the track numbers that really count. :cheers:
its a 98' Pewter Vert with a 6pt rollcage...did u see it???
as for track numbers.. the one and only time its been down the 1/4 it ran a 11.03 @ 123....soo close to 10's...hopefully i'll break that this summer!

thanks again guys, appreciate the comments!
Aj

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ScDfasche: the cam is .630/.630 gross valve lift..
if that helps u..im new to the engine stuff...
Aj

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Kooks 1 7/8" headers and LX with 90 mm intake will put you over 500 RWHP. :cheers:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IT L GO said:
Kooks 1 7/8" headers and LX with 90 mm intake will put you over 500 RWHP. :cheers:
unfortunately..i already have those.... :cry:
don't know what else i can do...unless i do a swap to a M6 instead of A4....

Aj

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
1 BAD BURB said:
don't know what else i can do...unless i do a swap to a M6 instead of A4....

Aj
Something doesen't seem right. An automatic transmission takes away about 20% of flywheel HP and 6 a speed takes away about 15%. So IMO you should be at 485 rwhp to 515 rwhp. Maybe it's in your tune.

The swap to a 6 speed will give you more Dyno HP, but think about all the problems will have with trying to get a good clutch etc. When all is said and done your car wouldn't be much faster unless you are really good with a stick. The reason I like a 6 speed is because it's more fun than Auto. :z:

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I used to hang out with MTI and the guys back in IL!!

Here is the Z07 Vert

Here is Joe (GNXguy), they had the same motors then and the only two in the Chicago area!!

Joe has gone back to MTI since then ;)
I think they enjoyed the first contact and measurement :D :D

MTI doesn't hang here even though he has a MY Z.
He is a CF C-5 and Great Lakes person!!
Great guy and stone cold gearhead!!

Ken

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
What's up with that big dip in the power band around 5700???

BTW, you need to change you "sig" if you now own a C5 roadster. :thumb:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol...dsinned..im on it!!! LOL

KensZ06: yes, that would be my car! Jimmy (MTI C5 Roadster) is the one i bought it from...awesome guy as u mentioned, truly a gearhead!

IT L GO: you know, thats what i figured, needs a better tune, but from what my guys told me, the tune seems to be right on. the previous owner told me the same as well... also, note that this car has a 4000 stall...that would rob an ass load of power as well..

any other options i have to get her up in the normal range? i won't do nitrous though...i just don't do that stuff.....

alrighty boys...thanks for the compliments guys, truly appreciate it!
Aj

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
IT L GO said:
Something doesen't seem right. An automatic transmission takes away about 20% of flywheel HP and 6 speed take away about 15%. So IMO you should be at 485 rwhp to 515 rwhp. Maybe it's in your tune.

The swap to a 6 speed will give you more Dyno HP, but think about all the problems will have with trying to get a good clutch etc. When all is said and done your car wouldn't be much faster unless you are really good with a stick. The reason I like a 6 speed is because it's more fun than Auto. :z:
Gross frictional loss in a 2003 Z06 is 15-16% between crank and rearwheels according to Chuck Mallett. I use 16% for calculation purposes. A 427 should be 500 rwhp easily if its tuned correctly, has a reasonable cam in it, and is running on pump gas, i.e., <=11.2:1.00 compression.

·
Registered
412 Posts
1 BAD BURB said:
don't know what else i can do...unless i do a swap to a M6 instead of A4....Aj
Aw man, just enjoy your car with those great numbers! :cheers:

·
Registered
340 Posts
what kind of tranyy do you have in the car? get a pro yank converter with a 3,500 stall and a 1.63 stall ratio. this will put more HP to the ground. i bet your stall ratio is like 2.5+ this will eat 25 rwhp at the higher rpm's. notice how your dyno graph hits hard down low and then looses everything up top. that dip in the graph at 5,800 rpms is probably your torque converter unlocking. all of this is more than likely the result of a bad torque converter. call mike sennia at yank converters and tell him fast freddy in tucson sent you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fast Freddy:
your correct, the stall, a Pro Yank 4000 (unsure of ratio) is indeed killing the power... the tranny is a 4L65e, Level 5 build by FLP. swaping the stall would be a great task, and money is short now since i will be buying the Spectre Werks C5R lights and HID's... as the car sits, its runs great.. perhaps in the future, i'll do that swap, but i appreciate the knowledge and commentry!!!

thanks again guys...im enjoying every bit of the drive! except in the rain... :(

Aj

1 - 17 of 17 Posts