Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get some polish on the car since Saturday and have been having nothing but problems. I washed it with Dawn Saturday afternoon and then used my new buffer to put some Z5 on the car. I let it dry for about an hour and a half and then took it off. It did come off that time, but I did have to use a lot of muscle to get it done. Then I put another coat on the hood by hand, let it dry another hour and half and tried to take it off, but I could still see where I had applied the polish (straight motions along the length of the car). I even tried some Z6 to take it off, still using a lot of muscle, but no dice.

I tried again on Monday night (rain all Sunday) and it came off a little better, but I didn't know if I was seeing things or not so I tried one more thin coat. It wouldn't come off last night and still won't come off tonight. It is worse now than it was either of the two previous times I applied it. I can definitely see streaks where it was applied, and I can tell where the cloth stopped and started on the surface of the car. Z6 doesn't help, muscle doesn't help.

I know I didn't follow the directions to the T and what I did just made it worse, but I've used this product before and have never had this problem. The only thing I can think of to do now is to try to get it off the car with Dawn and start over.

Anyone had this happen or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Call their hotline, or wash with dawn and start over. Humidity plays a very large role in how Zaino works.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Applying the polish with a polisher was probably the beginning of the problem. I would think that some Z6 would take it off. Send Sal Zaino an e-mail or call him. I am sure he can solve the problem.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Spray Z6 on the car and wipe off.

I find that Z6 is pretty impressive. Thats what I would do.

Good luck.

JB

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
One tip with Zaino is to use much less than you do with the normal waxes/polishes. Less it more , put it on thin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to admit I do tend to apply more Zaino polish/wax per coat than I probably should. I'll keep that in mind when I start over.

I've tried Z6 to take it off, but that hasn't helped. The streaks are still very noticeable. I've tried using a cotton towel (100% cotton made in the USA of course..) and a microfiber towel and neither made a difference.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Less it more , put it on thin.
If just streaks are left. Let the car sit in the sun for 30 minutes, the streaks will disappear. No need to rub it or touch it. :z:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
:( :( Never had that sort of thing happen. The only thing I can think of that may cause that sort of thing is applying Zaino in the hot sun and then I don't know if the problem you are having would happen.

D.J.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I always spray and wipe with the Z6 before I put on the Z2. It seems to shine better and the removal of the polish is a lot easier. Did you do this?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Houston is so humid that you better plan on letting it dry overnight. That is my standard procedure and the polish wipes right off without any problem or residue. The trick is that it has to be dry and not just a haze. Otherwise, you will just push it all over the car.

GOLD72

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well using a buffer to put on polish was not a good idea..2 did u use zfx to put on back to back polish if not they say u can only put one coat and wait 24 hours.zfx u can apply 3 coats try clay bar again..dont try rubbing it hard you'll give yourself more problems..good luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After I washed it, I went over the car with some Z6 looking for any water spots that I may have missed, got all those, and then went to work. I used a Griot's polishing pad (orange) to put on the Z5. I've never used ZFX.

IT L GO said:
Less it more , put it on thin.
If just streaks are left. Let the car sit in the sun for 30 minutes, the streaks will disappear. No need to rub it or touch it. :z:
Are you suggesting that I do that now, or that I do that if I use Z5 in the future? I thought I was supposed to keep the car out of the sun for waxing / polishing...

My first step will be to wash the car with Dawn (if I can't just take it off this evening), then I may put a VERY thin coat on the hood by hand. I'm reluctant to use Z5 again after this, but I guess if I don't keep trying I'll never get it right. :eek::

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Sounds to me as if you used too much Zaino. I put it on so thin that you can barely tell it is on the car. Then when you buff it shines like crazy! :yeadog:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yea it sounds like you might of put too much on, that combined with a hot environment will be murder to get off, it almost acts like zaino would if you tried putting it on in 40 degree weather.....

But what I do to get the streaks off.....and this usually is when I will start over after this and put a thin re-coat of Z2 or Z5 on....

Mix a little zaino car was in with water in a spray bottle, similar to what you would use to clay the car, that will get the streaks off instantly if the spray detailer can't cut it....but your gonna have to put a fresh coat of zaino back on the car if you want it to look decent

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Out of curiosity, what is wrong with applying the polish using the buffer? I was using the Griot's pad (orange) and I plan to switch to their wax pad (red), also using the buffer, when I get to that step.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
NewFoundPower said:
Out of curiosity, what is wrong with applying the polish using the buffer? I was using the Griot's pad (orange) and I plan to switch to their wax pad (red), also using the buffer, when I get to that step.
Don't know for sure but the buffer may have generated heat and I would think that would be about the same thing as applying the polish in the sun or on a hot surface.

D.J.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts