Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who haven't seen the Z's arrival fiasco, go see:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4178

Well, I had alot of thinking to do last night about what I saw in referenced thread above. Short night of sleep, since today was a final decision on if I should take this Z or not. The dealer had the car preped by noon today, so I went down there to look at it carefully again. I did find one more very small paint flaw from the factory, but it could only be seen with the driver's door open. I had the paint shop supervisor come out and discuss in detail how the paint damage as described in the ref thread would be fixed. My main goal was that I didn't want half the car repainted. He assured me that the deep scratch on the door edge could be touched up by hand and brush, and carefully built up and buffed. I have done alot of my own touchups on dings like this, and that's exactly how I would have attacted this one. The scrape under the nose wasn't quite as easy. He said that since the nose does have some 'break lines' in it, that they would probably only have to paint the very bottom part of the facia, and be able to blend it well. I'm alittle more leary of this one, and might have to rethink this one -- might even just touch up the dark area in the scrape by hand and call it good since you have to bend down to see it. Which is the worst of two evils? :flaming: -- hard call.

Anyway, the rest of the paint looks absolutely great! The orange peel is very minimum -- probably the best I've seen on any new Vette at the dealer. I know that some cars have alot of orange peel, and I guess I'd rather take my chances with the ding repairs instead of taking my chances with a new car again.

I also asked to test drive the Z before sitting down and doing the deal. I drove it about 10 miles, and everything seems spot on. It shifted nice, clutch was perfect, no strange noises (except the rattle when shutting it off in neutral -- 'normal' sound I've heard on the forums), excellant oil pressure (idle was 32 psi with 210 deg F oil), no computer trouble codes stored, everyting worked as it should.

So, I'm sure you can already tell that I decided to take this Z ... it seemed to give me a good feeling in spite of the paint dings. If that's the worst of it I'll be happy. I think it was probably the wise thing to do at this point :D.

I called GM Customer Service and was on the phone with them for 1/2 hr about the railroad shipping damage. They gave me a case number, and an address that I can send a written complaint/concern about that issue. I will follow through and write the letter -- it certainly can't hurt, and hopefully is another input that might makes things change on the way these cars are treated during transportation. I also complained to the owner of the dealership about 'Farmer Joe' truck driver who dropped off my Z -- man, I think he's more familiar with loading/unloading John Deere tractors than he is Corvettes :D.

Anyway, hope you guys with Vettes on the way get with your dealer and pass on your concern about shipping/trucking damage, and be damn sure to inspect your car until your satisfied -- and then go back and do it a 2nd time, just to make sure.

Happy Zin'
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
ZeeOhSix,

Sorry you had to go through that experience!

I know how hard it is to take a pass on the car you've been waiting so long for, so I can understand your decision. Hopefully they will take care of it to your satisfaction.

Despite the shipping damage, I know you will love the car! On the positive side, you have already gotten past the torment of your first dings.

I hope you really enjoy the car!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pat -- thanks :D. I figure the paint will be fixed OK, and I realize that with time I'm sure it will get more rock chips, door dings, possible vandlism (hope not!), and God knows what else in it's life time. I guess having fun in it is the most important thing!! -- and I'll be damned if this will stop me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts