Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I'm a big fan of the concept but getting it to market sooner rather than later would have been appreciated.

2007 works for me too.

Thanks for the headsup.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
OEM? I'd say an extra grand if that...

Retrofit is another story....I'd say 10 grand with install.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Read closely. It will be difficult to add this after a car is delivered. The transaxle will require modifications to engine management to prevent driveline shock on shifts that don't invlove the clutch.

ken

·
Registered
581 Posts
Last year this site read as if it was an aftermarket product. Now it seems OEM.

Based on the gearboxes they used, I would imagine GM might very well be a vendor working with them. And I imagine TVR already has.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Alan,

Can't say if it real or memorex ...I just thought I'd post up the updates since I spotted them.

I believe the December 2005 article that states they have a few issues to resolve before bringing to final stage of production.

If they finally make it and they can bring it to market at some reasonable price they'll be heroes...

If not they'll be bums.

PS..your probably right! ;)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
So on a hypothetical 1/4 mile run you use the clutch to launch in 1st then just slam the gears? How do you downshift, do you neet to rev match?

·
Registered
581 Posts
New press. Lots more detail on its operation.

Exclusive OEM negotiations? Ford Mustang video (used to be TVR)?

Clearly, what the OEMs saw they liked. The founders must be getting rich.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
HMmm Way back at the turn of the century....I think that Audi started offering something called CVT...Continously Variable Transmission only aware of because of being an A4 owner(former)....Not sure how it worked in real life or if it is even still around. Interesting concept...not sure how it would fare in the race world but with the LS7 and the right rear gear who knows :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Cobra4B said:
So on a hypothetical 1/4 mile run you use the clutch to launch in 1st then just slam the gears? How do you downshift, do you neet to rev match?
"2: Shift Shock

The gear ratios I made up were a little unrealisticm so the engine won't go from 8000 to 4000 rpm in an instant, but it probably will go from 8000 to 6000. Dumping 2000 rpm worth of inertia into the drivetrain in one sudden jolt will cause, well, a sudden jolt. No big deal if you are drag racing. Very big deal if you're trying to sell a car with this transmission to your Great Aunt Ethel.

Same thing happens when you downshift. Say you're trail braking into a corner at 6000 rpm and you bang down a gear. instantly the engine has to be going 8000 rpm, and the power to spin it up has to come from the drive wheels. The car lurches, the drive tires bark in protest and you go spinning into the weeds.

So Zeroshift has to work on some way to smooth this shifting thing out. It could be some sort of slipper clutch. It could be some connection to the engine management that cuts power during upshifts or blips the throttle slightly during downshifts. Or something else entirely. They're smart, they'll figure it out."

:coo:

·
Registered
469 Posts
maineyak_2000 said:
HMmm Way back at the turn of the century....I think that Audi started offering something called CVT...Continously Variable Transmission only aware of because of being an A4 owner(former)....Not sure how it worked in real life or if it is even still around. Interesting concept...not sure how it would fare in the race world but with the LS7 and the right rear gear who knows :)
That's what I thought this article would be about when I clicked on it! I still think that type of technology is ultimately what we truly need... basically an infinite number of gears that simultaneously adapt their size to keep the motor at the optimum RPM throughout acceleration...

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
This zeroshift transmission is not a continously variable transmission.

It is a traditional 6 speed with some changes to elimanate the clutch pedal once underway.

May make it. May not.

We'll see in time.

Sounds good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts