Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ZO6 has no allocation this week.

No DOSP will occur this week on the model. No orders will be picked up from the dealers this week and be accepted by the system.

If you have an order with your dealer that is not placed, there is no need to call this week for an update.

Only those orders above 2500 will progress into and through the system this week.

This is a planned week, as advance orders were taken in to allow for scheduling of the option content and production volumes.

There is no need to panic. :mah: :mah: :p

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RFC2 said:
Have you seen any customer cars go 3800 or whatever built is?
Not to this point, I have not seen any retail units (of those that I have been looking at from members here) go to 3800.

·
Registered
338 Posts
jdogg,

can you tell us anything about constraints on polished wheels? I have an allocation for 9/20, but if no polished wheels on 9/6 allocation, would switch with a person waiting on polished wheels.
also any news on when the smoked gray option wheels will be available?

I would appreciate any info you can provide me on this.
[email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Torch said:
jdogg,

can you tell us anything about constraints on polished wheels? I have an allocation for 9/20, but if no polished wheels on 9/6 allocation, would switch with a person waiting on polished wheels.
also any news on when the smoked gray option wheels will be available?

I would appreciate any info you can provide me on this.
[email protected]

Thanks!
The best I can tell you is that it is 20% for greater than 4 weeks.

Constraints are typically set for <4 weeks, >4 weeks, balance of Model Year.

The constraints are set at the dealer levels, based on total availabilty of polished wheels, really.

If your dealer has 4 C6 coupes/verts with polished wheels, tell them to sell them in the week before your order gets preferenced/get allocation.

Or you wait a couple weeks till the dealer can earn the constraint.

The Comp. Gray wheels are a mid-year addition - no specific date has been set to my knowledge.

JDogg

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
At least the GM executives were taken care of :p

There seems to be no shortage of "internal" GM C6 Z's running around.

One almost wonders why in situaitons like this, GM can't build and deliver cars with the "incorrect wheels" - then follow up with a "recall" as soon as the prodution run of wheels arrive.

That way customers actually get treated like customers, and not victims. ;)

I mean - honestly, how pathetic does your manufacturing and materials management and aquisitions systems have to be, to design, announce and be rady to produce a car - yet you still have supplier problems.

And this appears to not be an iolated case - but rather the norm with regard to General Motors.

It would seem that GM has the worst materials provisioning and managment system on the face of the earth ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What it comes down to is a desire to launch a car that is correct out of the gate.

What you see running around are not regular production units. Some have non-release parts on them, some are only destined to be crushed. THe purpose behind them is to run them and run them hard. To find the so-called squeaky wheel, to find a leak/noise/gap/fit/etc. to fix, to give the car an opportunity to impress.

It isn't executives driving the majority of the cars, but the release engineers that are responsible for the vehicle, the people who are going to be the ones answering for the absolute driver experience that the car promises.

The constraint is there to compensate for the fact that the number of orders coming from both the C6 and the ZO6 with the polished wheels far outstrips the production capacity of the supplier, where the production meets the quality requirements of GM.

Convertibles are limited to 50% of the regular C6 because of the production capacity of the plant. If you really want the wheels, you will wait, just like other people who wait for the convertibles at thier dealers.

If your dealer has 6 C6's in the system with polished wheels, and there is another dealer with none, the dealer with none will get the first set of wheels, as his availability is lower.

RC - I'd rather have a good set of wheels on my car than have a badly polished set.

I'm certain that the supplier is working on improving the process, the quality and the quantity of wheels that can be supplied to the plant, balanced against a total system balance of option content.

If the first 3 months have an option content of 100% QL9, and after that it runs at 50%, does it make sense to invest in doubling capacity for 3 months, or to manage orders so that you have a supplier that is profitable, and then able to continue to supply the quantity of wheels needed?

The customers are being considered, and the demands are being heard - and I doubt that any of the first ZO6's are going off the line unsold.

If you need, I can continue the conversation on this in PM's or emails.

JDogg

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
jdogg said:
If you need, I can continue the conversation on this in PM's or emails.

JDogg

I have no secrets, and neither should you ;) I am sure you know the system inside out - that doesn't make it a good system :)

Be that as it may- this "just in time" materials handling is 100% to GM's advantage and does nothing for the customer experience :)

My actual point is that this seems to be a regular problem with GM and the Corvette - supplier quantities, quality and availability.

When you have a system repeat errors year after year after year after year after year, you should be looking at changing your systems :)

It seems that not only does the GM manufacturing process have flaws that fail to be adressed - their product also has flaws that fail to be adressed .

One need only note how the same errors plagued the C5 from 1997 until 2004 - without a cure. Column Lock, Clutch, Synchro's Turn Signal unit etc.

Again - my off topic point is that GM does appear to have trouble recognizing, analyzing and then curing problems - in their product and production methods and materials management. (and their Union relations ;))

That is all.

Just an observation.

We are now returned to our regularly scheduled programming. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
jdogg said:

The constraints are set at the dealer levels, based on total availabilty of polished wheels, really.

If your dealer has 4 C6 coupes/verts with polished wheels, tell them to sell them in the week before your order gets preferenced/get allocation.

Or you wait a couple weeks till the dealer can earn the constraint.

The Comp. Gray wheels are a mid-year addition - no specific date has been set to my knowledge.

JDogg
Thanks, I don't want the polished wheels - how much longer before the constraint is lifted? Do you have an idea? Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Torch said:
Thanks, I don't want the polished wheels - how much longer before the constraint is lifted? Do you have an idea? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg

·
Registered
215 Posts
jdogg said:
Not to this point, I have not seen any retail units (of those that I have been looking at from members here) go to 3800.
Anyone go 3800 yet? <wink wink>

:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts