Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just seems to me that the 2005 c6 with more cubic inches would have the greater mod potential and a more reliable bottom end to work with. Has this been discussed? I've been thinking about building up my zo6 but lately have been hearing about its weak bottom end. I makes sense to me to start with larger cubic inches rather than build my existing one.
What do you think?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
From what I've seen so far...the C6 isn't as mod friendly as the C5 is. Not sure why...you would think a H/C package on a C6 would make more power than a H/C on a C5 but, I haven't seen it happen yet. Of course, shops are still in the very early stages of modding the C6 so, I suspect that the numbers will increase in the near future. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Heads/Cam C6's I have seen in 6spds have been running roughly the same as a Head/Cam Z06.

I believe Cartek had a Stage 2 Head/Cam C6 (6spd) and it made 446rwhp

My MTI Stage 2 Z06 made 452rwhp

Like Casey said, The more tuning that comes out I think tuners will have a better feel of the LS2 engine.

But I do know a modded C6 down here in Houston that can outrun a 383 Z06 vette....!!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
GarettO said:
Heads/Cam C6's I have seen in 6spds have been running roughly the same as a Head/Cam Z06.

I believe Cartek had a Stage 2 Head/Cam C6 (6spd) and it made 446rwhp

My MTI Stage 2 Z06 made 452rwhp

Like Casey said, The more tuning that comes out I think tuners will have a better feel of the LS2 engine.

But I do know a modded C6 down here in Houston that can outrun a 383 Z06 vette....!!
I guess we know what our next video is gonna be... ;) :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think the bottom end is any stronger (could be wrong.) If you got the money you could run 9's with a C5. Anything is possible.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The more you mod the less the difference. The ECU in the C5 apparently is easier to reprogram. On LS1Tech, vendor's report 550+rwhp from a 402 LS2 and 402s (4" stroke) are being offered from several sources.

From a performance standpoint, the more you mod you might as well have a '97 C5. One vendor on LS1Tech used a '99 coupe as they show vehicle (I believe they are well into the 9s).

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't think that the C6 has more "potential". Take your car and if you want to build it up, just do it. Don't go down the woulda', shoulda', coulda' road. If you're going to build up the whole motor, just take the 427 route and you'll be smiling. No regrets.
:jammin:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZO6 AL-X said:
I don't think that the C6 has more "potential". Take your car and if you want to build it up, just do it. Don't go down the woulda', shoulda', coulda' road. If you're going to build up the whole motor, just take the 427 route and you'll be smiling. No regrets.
:jammin:
I think you're right! This is what I will do. I will take 25 grand and replace my 2004 zo6 with everything that the 2006 zo6 will have except for the keychain. I have a really cool keychain with a flashlight. :cool:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
jason31 said:
I've been thinking about building up my zo6 but lately have been hearing about its weak bottom end. I makes sense to me to start with larger cubic inches rather than build my existing one.
What do you think?
Jason, I saw your other post about h/c cars, and your concern for bottom end reliability. I am one of those guys who preach bottom end build up first before you do any major mods. There will "always" be the people who have 20k miles on their h/c car with no problems. My overall point here is piece of mind, money, and safety. You certainly arent modding your car to drive like granny goose. You mod your car to be able to use the power when you want to, or when you need it. Whenever you mod the top end of your Z, be it h/c, or s/c, without beefing up the bottom end, you're running a risk. It's not necessarily that the stock bottom end is weak, but when so much added power is placed on it, it carries the burdon of supporting all that extra power. Under certain conditions, something will malfunction. It's like putting 500lbs on a cart with inflatable wheels that were designed to handle 350lbs. You can roll the 500# around on it from point A to B for a while. But it's going to break sometime before it should.

When the situation arrises, when you want your power the most, you are going to want to harness it, and get it to the road with confidence that it wont break.

Cubic inches are always welcomed but there again so it an iron block. And here comes the bottom end issue again. And the Clutch issue. There are so many routes you can take for more power. You have to ask yourself what you want the car to accomplish. Once you have that in mind, do the mod. But as with anything you do in life, do it right the first time. :cheers:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Basically an LS2 is an LS6 with more compression and a bigger bore. So the answer to your question is YES the LS2 does have the potential to make more power than an LS6 (especially area under the curves).

I think the things you are seeing holding back the LS2 are programming and intake manifold.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was under the impression that the LS2 intake was an improvment over the LS6 intake...

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Higher compression and larger displacement = more power potential. The bottom end isn't any "better" in reguards to strength. They're tuning is has been really held back b/c LS2-edit is finally comming out and reaching the tuners.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
As a starting point the LS2 is better than the LS6 :z:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nutbush said:
Jason, I saw your other post about h/c cars, and your concern for bottom end reliability. I am one of those guys who preach bottom end build up first before you do any major mods. There will "always" be the people who have 20k miles on their h/c car with no problems. My overall point here is piece of mind, money, and safety. You certainly arent modding your car to drive like granny goose. You mod your car to be able to use the power when you want to, or when you need it. Whenever you mod the top end of your Z, be it h/c, or s/c, without beefing up the bottom end, you're running a risk. It's not necessarily that the stock bottom end is weak, but when so much added power is placed on it, it carries the burdon of supporting all that extra power. Under certain conditions, something will malfunction. It's like putting 500lbs on a cart with inflatable wheels that were designed to handle 350lbs. You can roll the 500# around on it from point A to B for a while. But it's going to break sometime before it should.

When the situation arrises, when you want your power the most, you are going to want to harness it, and get it to the road with confidence that it wont break.

Cubic inches are always welcomed but there again so it an iron block. And here comes the bottom end issue again. And the Clutch issue. There are so many routes you can take for more power. You have to ask yourself what you want the car to accomplish. Once you have that in mind, do the mod. But as with anything you do in life, do it right the first time. :cheers:
It's becoming more clear as to what needs to be done to save time, aggrivation, and money down the road. Reading post after post I have come to the conclusion that the ls7 is the answer. Why spend 20-25 grand building up the ls6 whenever for roughly the same amount I can buy a c6zo6 under warranty. Tuners around here a going to have a rough time trying to sell their 427 buildups with this in mind. A supercharger or turbo will be the only step to take after that. It just makes sense to me. What do you think?
I must be patient :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
jason31 said:
It's becoming more clear as to what needs to be done to save time, aggrivation, and money down the road. Reading post after post I have come to the conclusion that the ls7 is the answer. Why spend 20-25 grand building up the ls6 whenever for roughly the same amount I can buy a c6zo6 under warranty. Tuners around here a going to have a rough time trying to sell their 427 buildups with this in mind. A supercharger or turbo will be the only step to take after that. It just makes sense to me. What do you think?

Or...

Buy a C6 Z51: $48000
Do a Heads Cam Package: $7000

for roughly $55000 dollars you could have a 450 rwhp C6 that would make = or better power then a C6 Z06.

And you save 20 thousand in the process :drunken: And you eliminate the dealer markups, and the waiting before their out and waiting before you can even get your hands on one.

I plan on waiting for the 2nd year Z06 to come out So I can purchase a 06 model for cheaper ;)

Cheers
G

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
jason31 said:
I think if you have the money to spend, you should look extremely close at the c6 z06 427. I personally would not buy an 06. As with first model run years there are always issues. But that's just a personal thing with me. But after that I'd look very hard at it. Is the bottom end of the LS7 forged? Are you happy with the looks of the hatchback style c6? We still dont know the price of the 427 z06. But in all reality. If it were me, I'd save my money, and see exactly what the LS7 Z has to offer. Then assess the market on the car, and make a decision then. Patience is a virtue. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts