Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, do you think in the future the Z06 will be as hard to find and expensive as the ZR1? I know it is early but I just think they are making too many of the Z06 for it to ever be rare and go up in value. It just seems like there aren't that many ZR1's out there. Let me know what you guys think about the Z06 as far as it being a collectors car cause I don't see it happening, maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I look at the Z06 as something to be used as intended. Very Spirited Driving. This ain't no Rolls Royce Silver Ghost! ...making a garage queen out of these in hopes of cashing
in someday (IMHO) is not a good bet.

These are the most bang for the buck you can have on paved roads. ENJOY THEM NOW! Soon enough you'll be 75 years old, wondering WTF you were thinking...
Drive these sumbitches! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif You'll get your money's worth.

HarleyB (my $.07----after I got my tax refund!)

·
Registered
151 Posts
By todays standards, a production run of 15,000 units in three years is not a lot of cars. The ZO6 will "always" be a rare find.
(I wouldnt plan on retireing on it's resale value though) In 1963 they built 199 Z06s, over 80 of those are uncounted for to this day,(most people assume wrecked) using the same formula (assming people still wreck ZO6 Corvettes) In the year 2041 there should be less than 7,000 2001-03 Zs on the road. I can hardley wait! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I had a '93 Polo Green II ZR-1 for 5 years. They only made 448 cars each year from 93-95 (405 h/p cars), only 20 in my color for '93. It was hands down, the best Vette I had to-date.

So, to answer your question, the ZR-1 will always be much rarer than the Z06. I sold my 30k mile car for the mid thirties late last summer - original sticker was close to 70k /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif ! Of course many ZR-1's sold for less than MSRP once the initial furor died down. From my observations, the only ZR-1's that are holding most of their original value are extremely low mileage garage queens which can have their own problems since they have sat unused for years.

Truth is, while the ZR-1 was awesome in its time, and will always be a very special car in the pantheon of Corvettes, it was a flawed vehicle. Build quality was very spotty, chassis was weak (car would torque noticeably on a high speed banked track), car had substantial understeer due to about 200 lbs extra weight over front wheels... that car was a heavy mutha!

Engine was a work of art, but very few people could or would work on it. Scarcity and expense of parts is becoming more and more of an issue. Push rod engines are not as exotic, sexy, and sophisticated, but they are also not as expensive to mod or repair while making similar power.

I didn't want an exotic, I want a kick-ass affordable, special car that can just about outhandle and accelerate anything up to cars costing 50% more.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm a current ZR1 owner and a tentative Z06 owner-to-be. I agree with everything BLUBYU says except:

From my observations, the only ZR-1's that are holding most of their original value are extremely low mileage garage queens which can have their own problems since they have sat unused for years.
I'm not sure I'd even go that far. My observation is that even ZR1s that are orig. low mileage cars, while not loosing as much value as others that are "drivers", they are not commanding the high prices those who bought them for speculative purposes may have thought they would and that those in the business of buying and selling Corvette want people to believe.

Engine was a work of art, but very few people could or would work on it. Scarcity and expense of parts is becoming more and more of an issue.
The LT5, from a DIY standpoint, intimidates many, even DIY owners, but reality is, it's not difficult to work on-with the exception of setting up the cams. The rest of it demands no more special skills or tools than, say, an overhaul of an LS1 would require.

Parts are expensive and some are already discon. but the other side of that is, generally, LT5s are proving pretty durable. Major repairs, except in the case of very high mileage engines, are not as common as with other engines. I should note that production LT5s never had the oil consumption problems some Gen IIIs have experienced.

car had substantial understeer due to about 200 lbs extra weight over front wheels... that car was a heavy mutha!
Understeer? Yep.
Heavy? Yep.
The last of the ZR1s weighted about 400lbs more than an Z06.

I want a kick-ass affordable, special car that can just about outhandle and accelerate anything up to cars costing 50% more.
My sentaments *exactly*!
Hopefully, I'll be able to afford an EB02Z06 *and* keep my ZR1.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Hopefully, I'll be able to afford an EB02Z06 *and* keep my ZR1.
Hib, if you can--DO IT!!!
Like I say, my two Z's: The Warhorse & The Racehorse /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

July 2000 & February 2001-featured articles in 'Corvette Fever'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts