Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a cool sight this morning.

10 Z's all backed in the ZO6VETTE.com Garage at California Speedway. Hat's of to Othilio for marketing this get together. A pretty trouble free day, had to leave early with one session left.

Lots of very fast Z's and fast Z drivers eating up the other marques today. We will see what tomorrow brings with the Ferrari group coming in.

The M3's, EVO's , STI's, S2000's, Carrera's were no match for the Z on this track. Z's ran the fastest times of the day with only a Radical and GT2 Rx7 running faster from what I saw.

I corded a Slick during the second session. Viewing from most angles with the car on the ground they looked pretty good. I decided to swap them side to side for session #3 and noticed the flaw. Must have been a thin spot as there was not sign of flat spotting or lock up, but with 2/32 in the center it went to cord about 3/4 of the way on the inside of the rear. These were the R370 Goodyears. For those of you running these, be careful and lift the car to inspect the tires. There is still 3/32 on the outside edges, so I ran too much air pressure in them. But the wear indicator dead center still shows 1.5/32 and 2/32 a third of the way around.

I put on the Nitto R2's and they worked pretty well. They are fairly predicatable. These are a darn good drive to the track tire. They are not a full race tire, but work well enough to have a good time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a great time. :) I was in the end garage next to you. That sux about the tires.

I think I got Oli and Wurth in my last session with a 1:14.2xx.

I am not going up tomorrow. You?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yes, Bimota Guy had a great last session and last lap of the day. BG bested my best time by about .45 and a few hundreths on Wurth.

Bimota Guy did not mention though that on the 5th lap of the last session three of us were lined-up and starting to pass slower traffic. I was in front at the time, then BG followed by AmericanMusl, all members of this forum. All our lap times were running within about a second or so I would say.

I had just passed two Volkswagens of some type or another. I don't know VW models well at all. I was finishing off some trail braking into the last turn, a declining radius that exits to the front straight. I heard tires squealing and glanced in the corner of my right eye some white just before it hit my car. I heard a crunch, I was thrown off my line but did not spin amazingly.

It turned out to be one of the two VWs I had passed. He outbraked himself into the turn and hit me. American Musl said my car was the only thing between him and his car going off the track. I think he carried too much speed following me in, and was probably watching his mirrors too much with two other Vettes bearing down on him like fighter jets.

He was telling the guys at Speedventures that he was passing me and that I turned into him. The VW guy said he never locked his tires, but AM told me he saw lots of white smoke pouring off his tires before he hit me. I certainly heard the skid.

Anyway, instead of having about 1/8 toe in on the back of my Z16, I now have about 4.5 inches of toe out on the right side. Amazingly, I don't think he did any body damage. I see a small buffable scuff on the fender and scratches on the CCW wheel. My toe adjuster bar is bent into a curve. I am not sure about the hub and spindle back there though until I take it apart. That finishes my weekend in this car early as I cannot get those parts now. Has anyone else bent this section up? What should I expect to repair and how much should I budget for parts?

Wurth is letting me drive his T1 some tomorrow. I am looking forward to that. Aaron also offered to let me drive his Evo. The Speedventures guys are great.

Z06 Machine was out there, too and the drove fantastically as usually. Kraff stayed until the last session and was burning up some great lap times, too. All in all a good outing for the Z06Vette.com forum members. I think AmericanMusl had the fast time of the day of 1:13.xxx, if you don't count the Radical that was out there.

Bimota Guy and American Musl, you had a birds eye view of the hit. I am curious, what did you see happen?
:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Olitho said:
Bimota Guy and American Musl, you had a birds eye view of the hit. I am curious, what did you see happen?
:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:
Here is the PM I sent Z06 Machine before I replied in the thread...
Steve here from the end spot right next to you, with the blue Z06. No one hurt, but in the very last red session Oli got tagged by some idiot in a VW of some sort. The guy tried to run up the inside of him on the decreasing radius turn/hairpin (right where you exit the track to come back in.) Oli had passed the guy at some point earlier, but not sure where. The guy hit Oli's rear tire and it appears he broke the tie rod which adjusts toe-in/out since the tire was wobbling between toe-in and out. It was toe-out when he parked on the exit road. I drove him back to pit to get his truck.

After I packed up I went to check my last session's times (1:14.2xx) and went into the driver meeting room. Oli, Aaron, the other guy and several others were discussing/arguing about what happend. I was off to the side and behind (Oli could not see me but Aaron could) when Oli said," Steve saw the whole thing." Aaron pointed at me, and I replied, "Jackassery!" I did not realize I was standing a few feet from VW guy, but hell, he deserved it. I made several points. Among them: the guy did not have track position (i.e., was behind), it is not a race, etc. The guy kept saying he outbraked Oli. I explained "outbraking" requires him to be ahead on the track at some point while both are braking. He and his friends (all 20-somethings) kept insisting he was right along side Oli. Umm, no. If they were side by side how did the left front of the VW contact the rear tire of the Vette? Because the Vette turned in on him was the reply. Do they teach kids physics? How the hell could "mister outbraking" be along side Oli, and then hit Oli's rear tire when Oli "turned in on him." The guy kept saying things like, "Why should I give up my line?" Umm, lack of track position? "I was practicing passing." It is NOT a race. I felt like asking what race series he will be be getting into where 1,800 lb front-drivers are competing against 3,100 lb Vettes, but did not bother.

Then it got real ugly (I missed much of this...went out and came back in) Some friend of the guy told John Wurth not to "come toward him" and John replied with something then "I own this f***ing company" and "You're out of here." I chose to leave at that point.

Ugh...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oli, that stinks........sorry to hear about your car. If you need referals on the fix, let me know. I will come out tomorrow with my dad, but don't plan to run.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Oli!

It's interesting how these unfortunate accidents seem to always happen at the end of the day.

I saw everything crystal clear and so did my passenger...with out a doubt, that was your line! Wish I had a 2 way to tell you to watch out for the bonehead next to you...call it deja vu or whatever, but I knew he wasn't going to yield a few seconds prior the collision...that guy was driving on a mission to not let you get that corner. In fact, I said out loud, as did my friend just prior the "Iron Man " maneuver, "don't do it, don't do it"...if he drove in with that much speed and deep with out you there, he would have been in the dirt for sure! Oli, he was smoking the brakes before he hit you...no doubt!

Too much ego :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

On a lighter note, it was loads of fun and I think it is a far better track than "Street's" but not as good as "Spring"
Not to shabby with the 275's Toyos but I thing I could have given that RX7 a better go if I had my 315 GY slicks on all 4...man, he was wicked in the corners, though! :crazy:

On a tangent, when are you going next?

:cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks to Aaron and John for a super event. Great meeting everyone. I'm looking forward to July 2nd and 3rd!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I drove an underpowered Ferrari in Oli's group Saturday but never saw the Z06 group because they kept going around me so fast I got dizzy. I always saw them either moving in on my tail or moving away from me at a high rate of speed. I should have broght my Z on Saturday and the Ferrari on Sunday. I was in the Ferrari group Sunday and those guys are so slow I was the fast guy in that group. In fact I could finally keep up with a badly driven Z06 in that group of guys. Even then I could only get close. It was a great weekend. Hats off to Oli. Next time we do this we need to fire up the bar b que. See you guys in October. Rest of the year is too hot to play for this wimp. Time for me to go fishing...

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Speed Ventures folks are great. I enjoyed the time I spent with them here in Texas. If any of you get a chance - you should do a Speed Ventures event.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I wasn't able to make it this last week. I will do my best to be there with you guys next time.

Alex :thumb:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey, FatBillyBob:

You are right. We blew it not bring the BBQ. The temps were nice with that breeze. We definitely need to do that next time.

I am glad to see you were there with your Ferrari to show your Ferrari brethren how to drive. Those guys definitely needed someone to show them how to drive those fine Italian machines.

I was a little disappointed you did not bring the Z-16, but it was cool to hear your engine revving down the track.

And Al-X, please do come out with us next time.

:usa: :usa: :usa:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts