Votes: 89 54.9%
  • 8 speed auto

Votes: 73 45.1%

• Total voters
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
The automatic is faster and reliable (Proven on paper and by drivers.)
I can't believe I'm saying this but with all the tech going into the automatics now, I would choose the auto for a track purpose car.
F1 are Auto since 20 years ago because very fast cars can shift faster with auto and you'll never miss a gear

for a dd/track car, I would choose the manual gear box

·
Registered
7 Posts
M7 for me... It adds to the driving experience. Yes, it is slower than the A8 for most. But unless you are dragging, it won't be noticeable. Rev match is awesome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started out having to choose between the Powerglide two-in-the-glue or the manual, non-synchro first gear, three-on-the-tree. I went with the manual and have driven manuals all of my 70 years.

However, I was very impressed with GM's replacement for the Powerglide, the Turbo-Hydramatic, with its imperceptibly smooth shifts and drove many samples owned by others over the intervening years. They just keep getting better and better.

I do not want to worry whether I've just made a 4-5 up-shift, or a 4-3 down-shift when I'm in a hurry. The shifting gates on my 2012 M6/GS are tight enough that shifting is a deliberate, and not quick, affair; I imagine the 7m gate is tighter still.

So, its that fabulous A8 for me, GMs best automatic ever. Silky smooth and imperceptible shifts when cruising, faster than a PDK when hustling. What's not to like?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I chose the 7 speed manual on our 2017, primarily for the driving enjoyment. But changing out the OEM shifter to an MGW is a must in my book. I tolerated the OEM junk in my C6 Z06 but for some reason, the same shifter was much worse in the C7 car.

The new shifter feels like a bolt action rifle, with no more hunting for gears.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently bought a used 2015 C7 Z06 with M7. In my case I considered an A8, but I found a good deal on one with the M7, so that's what I bought.

F1 are Auto since 20 years ago because very fast cars can shift faster with auto and you'll never miss a gear
F1 full auto shift was banned in 2004. F1 race cars now use computer controlled "seamless" shift mechanical transmissions controlled via paddles on the wheel. This year (2018) they went from 7 gears to 8 gears. Dual clutch transmissions are also not allowed, but the computerized "seamless" shifters accomplish the same thing and are lighter, using fuel cut and computer controlled pressure on the tiny clutch pack (less than 4 inch diameter) so that torque to the drive train and rear tires is a "seamless" transition as engine rpm drops during an upshift. There may be an auto-blip feature for downshifts, but I'm not sure.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts